Sign in to follow this  
.ghoti.

Fig Rig rods?

Anybody have any experience with these?

I need a new muskie rod. Don't even ask what happened to the old one. Suffice it to say that I'm a bonehead.

A local tackle shop has a few of these on sale. MSRP is $120-130.

On sale for $55-60. Two of them are in the bait weight, power and length I'm looking for.

Any thoughts from our muskie fishermen?

I have used them for swimbaits. They are decent rods. Specially for $60. It had a faster tip than I like for swimbaits, but I am to understand that is desirable in a muskie rod.

ghoti - are you going to be using it as a casting or trolling set up?

Figrig rods actually went out of business, they are now Toothy Tamer Rods.

The old Fig Rig's were notorious for breaking while trolling/hooksets, though I never had an issue while casting.

The new rods by Toothy Tamer, are made with new blanks, that are much more durable. They also have better customer service now.

If I was buying a NEW rod from this company I would be getting the 8' H Toothy Tamer rod.

Most people either love them or hate them (they have a rep like carrot stix for quality control, there was a bad batch that got out, coupled with poor customer service a lot of guys wont touch them), my father and I have around 15 between the two of us (of the older Fig Rig Rods, and a few of the new toothy tamers) on his eye / ski boat.

I would say if they don't have the toothy tamer line up, get the fig rig, that price is amazing. BUT I would check to make sure the warranty is still covered under the new ownership & Toothy Tamer.