Sign in to follow this  
mozy

Allstar Platinum vs. Kistler Magnesium

Anyone have any opinions on these rod. I'm looking for a new t-rig and jig rod. Kistler is a 6'9" rated 1/4 to 3/4, and the Allstar is a 6'6" rated 3/8 to 1 oz. I can get them both within $10 of each other so that's not much of an issue. Leaning towards the Kistler because I already have an HMG with the same specs as the Allstar, but wanted opinions of those who have used either.

I would get the Kistler simply because of the extra length for fishing t-rigs and jigs but I guess that is a preference thing. I love my Magnesium flipping stick for jigs. I wish I had a 6'9" for t-rigs and lighter jigs.

Anyone have any opinions on these rod. I'm looking for a new t-rig and jig rod. Kistler is a 6'9" rated 1/4 to 3/4, and the Allstar is a 6'6" rated 3/8 to 1 oz. I can get them both within $10 of each other so that's not much of an issue. Leaning towards the Kistler because I already have an HMG with the same specs as the Allstar, but wanted opinions of those who have used either.

You are obviously looking at the P787 Platinum.

I would personally go for the P786. I've used the 787 line in a Titanium which is the same rod as the Platinum, just with Titanium guides and the action is a tad to stiff if you wanted to throw a slightly lighter T rig or jig. I've got 2 - 786's. One Titanium and one Platinum. With 7.1 Patriarchs mounted on them those are my bread and butter jig and T rig rods. Great feel to them, very sensitive and you're not worrying about any little ding in the rod turning into a broken rod on the hookset, they're tuff.

If I want to throw a slightly lighter jig, worm or creature bait I go with a P785, 6'6" med/xfast. That rod has become my primary shaky head/spider jig outfit.

One other thing, the Platinums have the power hump grip so keep that in mind.