Sign in to follow this  
NewAngler

13' panfish pole

I was in walmart the other day looking at their new hot line of quantum rods when I noticed a type I've never seen before. It was called a panfish pole, and it was 13' long and had no reel seat, and no guides. I figure its another name for a canepole, but what is the purpose of this rod?

Actually, I saw few folks fished at the local lake here with those long rods. And it is very popular at asia, I was over there for a week long conference call and they took me fishing. It was kind of fun, and something different.

A long leader goes on the tip of the rod, and a slip bobber works well with them. You will extend the rod to a point, and fish on.  

Harpooning endangered whales in the Arctic...

Thanks, tin. Watching re-runs of Whale Wars?

I figured since I can't catch bass I might as well try this.

So do you fling it out there like a fly rod? Or just simply extend it to your preferred distance?

You can just drop it at that preferred distance. It is a way for the bait to look natural, so fish will not get scared away by a splash.  But this pole only works for pan fish, I won't recommended for bass fishing.  

some of my best memories are fishing with my dad and granddad around the cypress trees in the Chowan River in NC with a long (fiberglass) cane pole. We caught all kinds of bluegill and the occasional bass or catfish would really get you going.

Definitely a lot action fishing with that pole, catching a 5lb catfish is like fighting a tuna