Sign in to follow this  
bryand82487

New setup help

I'm looking at getting a Steez, Core 50, or Core 100.  I plan on putting whichever one I get on a Cumara CUC-X72MH rod.  I already have a 6' 8" cumara MH X-Fast paired with a Daiwa sol for finesse fishing.  This new setup will be primarily for throwing jigs but would like to do some finesse fishing and possibly some other types with it.  It's my understanding that the Core 50 and the Steez are more of a finesse reel and the Core 100 is for flipping and pitching.  I think I'd rather have the Core50 because it is the lightest and the newest but I just need someone that has used them to tell me that the Core 50 will work fine for jigs up to a 1/2 ounce or that it won't and I should go with the Core 100.  Or if anyone uses a steez for this and recommends it over the Shimano line.  Please give me some recommendations or opinions.

PM the members Steezy or Bronzefly. Roadwarrior also used the Core I believe but Steezy and Bronzefly for sure. Try putting the brands in your title, you might get a faster response with that.

ie. "steez/ core setup help" might grab someones attention a little more.

Welcome to the forum.

I fish with a Steez and a Core 50 everyday, cant make up my mind which I like best. The Steez is about .1 oz lighter if that even makes any difference. Last week I bought a Cumara 7' Reaction rod CUC70M for cranks and put a Core 50 on it and love the combo. Im going to buy a Steez 7' crankbait rod and put a Steez reel on it so I can compare the two combos. I also own a Core 100 6.x ratio but seldom ever use it, Im just spoiled on the smaller low profile reels. I'll sell the Core 100 to you at a good price if you want it.

I fish jigs the least, probably should more cause I catch fish most eveytime but I fish a lot of ponds so I spend a lot of time clearing debris off the jig.

Now as far as which is better, thats up to the person fishing. I tend to like my steez combos better due to lightweigh and solid feel. The core reel feels a bit loose compared to the tight precision feel of the steez.

Any of the 3 reels will do the job but if youre going to use the cumara rod then I would put a core reel on it. The Core/Cumara is pretty tough combo for a little over $500.  

Please dont put a steez reel on a cumara rod.... :o

Thanks for the comparisons.  Steezy do you think the Core50 would make a good jig reel?