Sign in to follow this  
SWMIBASSER

Anyone using the Loomis SMR882S

Their Bronzeback series 7'4" spinning rod.

I want to get a dedicated tube rod for either Christmas or next spring.

How does it handle the higher end of it's lure weight rating? Will the action protect 6lb line?

I have this rod and I use it for tubes and smaller flukes (I found it wasn't quite sensitive enough for shakyheads and other finesse techniques). It is a nice rod, but you may find it a little tip heavy (I added weight to the butt section to balance it out) and the power is a little more than what you would expect from the lure rating. 6 pound line would be fine on this rod, but I think 8 pound line would be a little better. I have actually caught up to 10 lb. Steelhead using this rod and it handled them well (which is another testament to its power). If you are getting a great deal on this rod, I would purchase it, but if you are looking at paying retail, there maybe a little better rod out there for what you want.

That actually sounds about perfect. I want the tip soft enough to protect the line a bit, but if the drag is set properly it will be fine.

I prefer a faster action/stiffer rod than most do.

The tip heavy thing-As much as I don't like the weight they add, or how they look, the slip on balancers really make the rod feel much better.

With that said, I'm open to other tube rod suggestions.

I'm also thinking about a 7' BPS Johnny Morris Elite. I really think those are grossly underrated rods...

Would also be open to other Loomis offerings, and E21 rods also. Been thinking of buying one of those anyhow.

Any other tube rod recommendations?

How about the Loomis BSR852=Mossyback 7'1" M, XF 6-12 1/8-3/8

Also thinking about trying the St Croix Legend Tournament LTBS70 7' M F 6-12 3/16-5/8

Any other tube rod recommendations?

How about the Loomis BSR852=Mossyback 7'1" M, XF 6-12 1/8-3/8

Also thinking about trying the St Croix Legend Tournament LTBS70 7' M F 6-12 3/16-5/8

I have the BSR852 in the GLX version and this is the best spinning that I have ever used. It would be able to handle tubes (along with Senkos, Drop shots, and Shakyheads). I assume the Mossyback version would be very good as well.