Sign in to follow this  
basshunter81

Rod, Reel and lure storage

I'm thinking about buying one of those prefab sheds, and turning it into my little tackle shop. I live in CT so I get the worst of most weather. Will leaving the rods, reels and lures be OK in the heat of summer, and the cold of winter? Will it warp or dry anything out? 95% of my soft plastics are in their original package. Thanks in advance for any input. 

^^ What he said.

My tackle is stored in a shed without heat or A/C. The Kansas summers and wiinters don't hurt it a bit, and I DO have cheap equipment (relatively speaking).

Just be sure that you store any spools of line in a dark place.

Tom

You will have no problem. Store your rods in a rod rack so that they stand straight up with no bend in them and I recommend you invest in rod and reel covers to keep the dust off of them. In my case I use Cabela's rod covers (there are many others out there) and BPS low profile reel covers. I like the Cabela's rod covers because I can adjust the length of the cover I need (the unused tip folds over and velcro down) and they are inexpensive. Mine are 5 years old now and still look new. My boat is stored five miles from my home and the covers makes moving the rods in my pickup bed easy with no scatches on the rods or reels. Finally, remove the line from your reels and put on fresh line in the spring.  The plastics will be fine.

Here is what I heard, but I am not sure if it is true.  If the rods are stored in extreme temp. (both hot or cold) you could have cracking in the epoxy around the guides, because the epoxy and the graphic expand and contract at different rates.  I would assume this would only occur in drastic swings in temp. where expansion and contraction rates would apply.  Though, like I said, I am not sure, but I keep everything in my basement where the climate is controlled, because I don't want to find out.

While I don't think the temp swings are good for your equipment, can't say for sure it would cause any damage. My preferance is the cellar. The wintertime is when I go through reels and do cleaning and servicing. Also it is the time when going through and re-organize, inventory, etc. Too cold to do that outside.

RodStorage01.jpg