Sign in to follow this  
yurstruely

This is for you guys withotu depth finders.....

Okay heres  the thing i dont have a depth finder yet and really see know need for one since i only use my ghenee in small lakes( okay 11-20 acre ponds. I fish big lakes with buds ion there bass boats and poontoons.

ANY WAY! okay i just found my my self stuggling alot this fall and winters coming up deep water always provides bass with planty of great places to hide examples would be brush piles, riprap,manmade structures, grass edges, ledges, and stumpes you cant see. Well i found my self getting into this jig craze i hate jigs but i bougt like 10 mann stone jigs and  been fishing with them evey tiem out at first  i didnt know where to start so i would just get Mad and start cranking till i hit a brush pile or something thats when i would crank in a 360 degree angle around my boat  finding all the structure i could hit. Then i would cast the jig along the botom and just hit the structure. I sure you guys mite already know this but this is for guys just getting into the sport. As for my luck with jigs still nothign im very honest but i know where the structures are that the fish should be on. Also try and get a good idea what depth the fish should be at you can easily measrue th edepth your at by dropign a jig beside your boat and pull the line up every time the line is as long as your rod mark the depth. Example a 7 ft rod would have 7 ft of line from tip of your rod to the butt, you can do this over and over addign the line up til your jig is in sight then just make a rough esimate on the remander of line that is shorter than your rod.

Hopefully i just made someones time on the water a little easier :o

yurstruely

I myself hate jigs, and it actually will hurt my overall performance by not taking the time to use and continually learn them. They are proven lunker magnets but what you do with crankbaits is one of the reasons crankbaits are one of the best baits out there. Some people dont even use them to catch fish they just use them to locate structure as you mentioned. The Stone Jig is excellent and the only Jig I used that I ever caught anything on. Try lobin them under cover or skiping them across the water to get some extra strikes, good post.

i hate jigs also but lets be honest why do we hate a bait that has proven itself for years? Becuase we hate fishing slow, I am a power fisherman i throw lure after lure ill give 1 spot 13 different lures before i move on to another place. Im one of those guys who ties his knots fast and will change lures between the other guys casts. I cant stand spending a hour wasted on the water but lately my feelings have changed i have become aware that since the spawn ended this year i went on a no more worms rampage, i spent all spawn with senkos, and thought i would hurt my overall performance with just useign 1 lure so i bought every thing i could get my hands on literally if it was in the 10-2 dollar range i have bought it! I just got into patterning the bass this year i mean i never really understood bass fishing till this year, i learned alot due to these forums, bassinsider, bassmaster,espn2,books. I have poured so munch information into my mind about power fishign that i forgot how i got started old zom worms with a zebco 33 classic, 10 years ago..... I promised my self before next spawn i will know every lure i own inside and out, so far jigs are my last lure to master. I dont want to be one of those guys who knows alot about a little, i want to be one of those guys who knows a little about alot.

Once i buy a depth finder i believe my problems with the jig will be over, i find it funny though the lake behind my house doesnt have crawdads, so i dotn really know what these bass think of my jigs haha, i bet they know whats going on.

Another sucess recently of mine is i have got pretty good at deep fishing withotu a depth finder 20 is  deepest so far, i cant get anything deeper but winter  is arriveing we shall see.