Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Zillion/Zillion Coastal/Zillion 50th Anniversary

What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages of the coastal vs the standard zillion? I realize that its supposed to stand up to saltwater better, but how? They seem identical aside from the 2 added CRBBs on the coastal (still 6 bearings total). Is this the only difference? Also, is the 50th anniversary version a big step up from the standard verion zillion? I'm looking for a powerful reel to pair with an MBR844 IMX/GLX for big blades and jigs in light/moderate cover. I have no experience with daiwa reels and would appreciate the input from anyone who has used these reels. Thanks all.

I have a Zillion High Speed Edition and love it, I would say its a bit heavier and not as buttery smooth as a Chronarch, but it is a built like a tank and is has plenty of power. In my opinion, its a toss up at this price point between Shimano Chronarch and Daiwa Zillion. 

As far as differences between the New Anniversary, the older model SHA, and the coastal edition its negligible.  All are saltwater safe, the Anniversary edition has 12 total bearings but the bright red color is sickening. Also, the additional shielded CRBB in the Coastal are longer lasting according to Daiwa in a saltwater environment, but it sure is pretty  ;D

I agree that the 50th anniversary sure is ugly. I think the colors of the coastal would look pretty sweet on an MBR844 IMX, and it could double as an inshore striper setup.

I actually like the color of the 50th... I think it's a great reel!  I have made a few "upgrades" on mine, but it's sweet out of the box as well.  A couple of key differences between it and the standard USDM Zillion 100SHA - the knobs are screwed on and can be replaced with other options, there is a bearing in the levelwind, and of course the blazing 7.3:1 ratio.

Thanks Bronzefly. I would be willing to deal with the red color, but I can't find a lefty version anywhere I have looked. And I havn't asked in the flea market section because I'm not really ready to make a purchase yet. Also, does the 50th have bearing supported knobs?