Sign in to follow this  
NorCalFishinguru

Spool Tension for Pitching

Hey guys, finally got a flipping stick and I'm fairly new to the technique so before I become accustomed to bad habits I'd like to know the proper spool tension for pitching. I used to think and have practiced/fished a bit with it very loose but I'm starting to think that it may be better normal (lure falls slowly to ground without overrun) because you get a little help with the brakes and sometimes it seems like I can pitch it out right over the surface of the water for a quiet entry. which is it? Thanks for the help

keep it loose so you can keep the bait lower ... if that makes any sense.  :-?.. and brakes loose ... all in the thumb ... now if your pitch skipping ad a lil brake

I totally agree. Pitching is a technique controlled solely by your thumb on the spool. Back off your brakes all the way and you'll be golden.  :)

I'm with you, when I pitch I like to keep my spool tension a little tighter than most folks do. I leave 2 of the 6 internal brakes on like I normally do for casting, and then just loosen up a bit on the knob. It sacrifices distance, but allows me to alternate between pitching and making short underhand casts without adjusting the spool tension.

Light on the tension, High on the velocity, low to the water. Then stop on your target and quickly drop your rod tip for an light entry.

Light on the tension, High on the velocity, low to the water. Then stop on your target and quickly drop your rod tip for an light entry.

I'm sure if you watched Glenn do it, it would look as easy as it sounds. It just takes practice. I've worked hard this year to improve my pitching. I still struggle a bit with lighter presentations. Start with something in the 1/2 -3/4oz range till you get the hang of it would be my suggestion. Good luck.