Sign in to follow this  
CanalStalkin

Anyone with the new BPS extreme rods?

I returned my bps extreme combo almost a month ago to bass pro and am finally getting ready to get it back. They already messed up one time and just sent a rod which they told me to keep, I got the second rod today and should be getting my reel tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has the NEW bps extreme rod, I am trying to tell the different between the old one and the one that just came out to see which I got. I cant remember what color the accents were on the old one  :-[. This one has orange writing though. Any other way to tell the difference?

If I recall, mine is dark green with gold writing.  What's the problem with yours?  Mine has served me well for 2 years now- no problems...

Cool, then these must be the new versions. I sent my back due to reel issues, since I bought it as a combo I had to ship the whole dang thing back. I fished with it every day for about 3 months and over time it wouldn't want to engage after a cast. It would just grind gears. I really like it though. Now I just wish the extra rod they sent was a M action for cranks.

I have 5 Extreme rods, 2 spinning and 3 BC. Three are 3 years old, the other 2 were bought this spring. The newer ones have hook keepers, the older do not. They all have gold writing. 

I have 3 of the 2009 models (green w/gold), with 2 more inbound right now. These older models are being clearanced at $60 - a great deal IMO. BPS just added the new model Extremes to their web site for the full price of $100. Based on their descriptions of the old and new rods, all that seems to have changed is that they're now using "quality Pacific Bay® Hialoy guides handle braid, fluoro, or mono with ease." I had heard some reports (don't know how true) that braid was causing a problem on some of the earlier models so perhaps that's why they changed the guides. I don't have any personal knowledge of what else might have changed between the old and new rods.

Interesting that the rod that you got has no hook keeper. One of the features that I liked about the 2009 model Extremes (and other model BPS rods) was the hook keeper design that allowed you to secure a T-rigged bait. If BPS has deleted the hook keeper, I think they shot themselves in the foot ... ;)

I can't imagine taking the hook keeper off the new rods. Definitely a step back if they did.