Sign in to follow this  
cyph3r

rod suggestion

so im looking for a heavy pitching/froggin rod. im from the north so i wont be tangling with 10 lb monsters...most likely. so i was wondering what you guys would suggest for a rod 150ish or below. i would also like the rod to be 7'3" or below since i fish from the back of the boat and long rods get unwieldy. so far ive see the 7'2" xh xf crucial as my top choice. would this rod be too stiff for casting a frog? thanks guys.

-jeff

Dobyns 735 Savvy Series. I will have mine in a week or two and will give further details. They have been getting great reviews from everyone that has held them at he ISE Show . Very light, very well balanced, and fits your price range. 

how do u think the powell and the dobyns compare to the crucial? i only ask because i can get the crucial at a discount, but i dont want to spend the money if its not able to cast a hollow frog well.

Powell 725 or 735. The 725 is fast action and 7 '2" and the 735 is Xtra fast action and 7'3" so take your pick. I am sure the Dobyns is just about the same as they are very comparable to each other.

http://www.powellco.com/catalog/cat/?id=17

They're much different now. The G1 Dobyns were similar, but the G2 Dobyns are far above. The Savvy series balance as well as the Champions, which is a major plus. Rods over 7ft can get very tip heavy.

Powell 725 or 735. The 725 is fast action and 7 '2" and the 735 is Xtra fast action and 7'3" so take your pick. I am sure the Dobyns is just about the same as they are very comparable to each other.

http://www.powellco.com/catalog/cat/?id=17

They're much different now. The G1 Dobyns were similar, but the G2 Dobyns are far above. The Savvy series balance as well as the Champions, which is a major plus. Rods over 7ft can get very tip heavy.

Yeah your probably right. I have 1 dobyns gen 1 705 and a Gen 2 dx 743 and that thing is awesome!! the Savvy do look sweet and I dont think he will do wrong with any one of the 3 listed. I have a powell 735 that I picked up this winter and yet to use it but it feels very nice. He has 3 great choices here and he will be happy with whatever he chooses.

I've thrown my favorite soft body frog a small Scum Frog popper on an old Falcon flipping stick for so many years I've lost count.  It's not like it needs to be sensitive for frog fishing.

If throwing smaller frogs get a fast taper so you can use the tip to get it out there.   

If you want a good rod for a great price keep an eye out on the auction sites for the David Vance Lake Fork rods.  They are not the best on the water but I got five of them last year shipped to the door for less than 100.00 each bidding wisely.

My wife has a Dobyns, it's OK.  Once again I don't go all out on a frog rod.