Sign in to follow this  
Deputy Dave

Line on my Core 50

I'm the proud new owner of a new Shimano Core 50MG7. I plan on mounting it on one of my existing Kistler Helium LTA 7ft MH rods or purchase a Cumara 7'2" MH X-Fast. I plan on using this setup for plastic swimbaits and/or light T-rig plastics. I know that these reels don't hold alot of line and that I probably won't need to use any filler line so my question to those of you that have a Core 50 is what line (LB.) do you have on yours? I'm still trying to decide between braid and floro...

10-12 yozuri hybrid, soft or regular for super clear water...

Line isnt baitcaster dependant...congrats on the core? :-?

Congrats on that amazing reel!  I use mine strictly for pitching duties.  I keep 17lb FC on one for slightly heavier cover, then 12lb FC on another when the cover isn't quite as heavy.  I have used a braid to FC leader which works out well also.  Since you already have the reel, try both out and see which works best for you.

I would use different line for plastic swimbaits (size?) than for light t-rigs.  Much of it depends on the size swimbait and the cover you're fishing.  If you're going to mount it on a CUCX72MH, which is an outstanding pairing, I'd lean toward a quality FC line for pitching or casting your t-rigs. 

Have to drop a plug... I have a brand new CUCX72MH that I haven't posted up for sale yet :D

Thanks for the advise so far guys! I bought a 1lb spool of 12lb Yozuri Hybrid (3400yrds or 4800yrds) last season and really like it alot. I'm pretty sure I still have some 14lb and 17lb P-Line Floroclear (and even lots of BPS mono) that I can try on the Core as well.

I have 5 Revo Premiers on my other Kistler LTA's that are all used for pitchin/flippin jigs and heavy t-rigs. I keep all of those loaded up with Power Pro and use a Floro leader on all of them. That's why I'm leaning towards some lighter Floro on the Core. I've got the "heavy" stuff pretty well covered.

I've got 12# Seaguar red label fluorocarbon on my 50 Mg7! Thumbs up..sweet little reel!