Sign in to follow this  
bama_bassin

Need some advice on new rods and reels

I currently have three baitcasters and I am in the market to add two more. Here is what I have:

Shimano Citica 6:3:1 on a 7' Heavy action Kistler Rod

Abu Garcia Revo SX 7:1:1 on a 6'6" MH all star

Quantum PT Energy 5:1:1 and about to put on a 7'6" Quantum Medium action rod

Now I have one more rod that is 6'6" MH and I plan to purchase another rod and two more reels.

What I need advise on:

Is what I have currently matched up well on good rod / reel combos? What are your thoughts?

If I was to buy two more reels, which ones would you buy - Revo SX, Quantum PT (2009), or a BPS Pro Qualifier? Or other that is better and close to same price range?

What gear ratios should I get compared to what I already have?

What type of rod action should I get with the new reels?

I am trying to have 5 rod / reel combos that are versatile and give me what I need basically any time of the year. I think my quantum PT and med rod is good for cranking and some top water. My citica and kistler are good for jig and worm fishing. My revo and all star MH is good for topwater, spinnerbait, worm, etc. I feel its pretty good all around.

I know its a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate some good advice. Thanks in advance!

Out of the three reels mentioned, I would go with the Quantum PT, maybe in a 6:1 gear ratio with maybe a med. 6'6" rod for hard jerkbaits and topwaters like Torpedos and Pop-R's. To me, the 3 combo's you have listed seem well matched. I know shorter rods aren't real popular, but I like at least one 6 footer for close quarter spinnerbaits. If you do much shakey head or drop shotting, maybe substitute a spinning combo instead of a new baitcasting rig?

Thanks crank.  That's good stuff.  I like the PT too, I think it maybe the best option of the three.  By the way, I did not mention, but I do have a shimano shakey head spin outfit.

I only have experience with the PQ. That would be my choice for the reel. The 6.4:1 (26 IPT) is a fine all round choice. The High speed is 29 IPT and would work well also.

I agree with crankenstein and would add a MF or MXF rod for jerkbaits, light jigs/worms, poppers, etc.

well the setups you have are pretty balanced and all you really NEED. since you said you also had a spinning set up for shakeys and such... i think its time you double up some of your rigs to avoid retying. maybe buy another revo to pair up with that 6.6 you already have to copy your "moving bait" rig. its nice to throw the same set up for the same presentation just different bait/color.

do you need a specialty rig? flipping/punching mats? swim baits?

i personally like to have a seperate rod (rods) for t-rig and c-rigs. maybe take the 7'er you have and throw c-rigs on it and buy a dedicated t-rig rod? id go high speed quantum and 6'6 mh/fast shimano compre rod. if you looked around you could probably get that rig for about 160 bucks. (80 or so for the compre.. 80 or so for a quantum energy or accurist.. esp if you get the older models)

jmo

I tried the Johnny Morris GOld, signature and BPS extreme today and they are solid and better priced than the Quantums, Revo's, and Shimano Curado. The JM Gold had the design and components of $300 BC for under $200. I own a Revo Sx. Citica, Curado, and bought the JM Gold.