Sign in to follow this  
Babelfish42

Baitcasting combo recommendation

Due to winning a few bucks in the Super Bowl pool I am looking to get some new gear.  Can anyone recommend a baitcasting combo for someone that has never used one before?  Also, what would you recommend for rod action and gear ratio etc.?  Something that is a good all around combo.  Want to get it soon so I can start getting some practice with it so I don't spend my days on the water pulling out backlashes.  Looking to spend under $100.  Thanks in advance!

IMO, getting a good baitcasting combo for $100 or less might be tough. Granted that there are many good rods for the $50 and under range to choose from, getting a good baitcaster for that price range can become a challenge. BPS, Cabelas and many other sporting good stores sell quite a few rather nice combos for the $100 range. Personally, I would up your target range to at least $150, and then get a good rod in the $30-$50 price range that feels good to you and it will open up many very nice reels that are in the $70 - $120 range to choose from. I feel that many baitcaster reels with cheaper prices just do not cast as well and can take away from the experience that you are probably looking for. Shimano offers the Citica for around $120 and it is a great b/c reel. Abu Garcia offers the Revo-S reel in a similar price range and it is an excellent reel too. Quantumm, or Berkley sell quite a few lower priced rods that give nice performance. Just my opinion though. :)

I'm a "value" kinda guy and always try to find the least expensive solution but I have to give a second vote to upping the ante to the $150-$160 range. If it was me, I'd wait until February 26 and see what you can find at the BPS Spring Classic sale.

The BPS Carbonlite rod may very well be marked back down to the $70-$80 range for the 6.5' and 7' lengths. Perhaps other brands will be on sale like the Vendetta and the other rods in the same class.

The usual recommendation for an all-purpose rod is a 6.5 or 7ft medium or medium-heavy power. Go medium if you fish mostly open water and/or lighter baits, go medium-heavy if you fish more around heavier cover and/or use heavier baits.

For a reel - I'm biased since I own 4 of them - the BPS Pro Qualifier. Many of us are hoping for it to be marked down from $100 to $80 for the sale. The PQ is offered in 4 ratios but the 6.4:1 (26ipt) is a good general purpose ratio. The PQ reel has a dual-braking system (both centrifugal and magnetic brakes), offering better cast management than single-brake system reels. The dual-brakes minimize backlashes and reduce the learning curve.

There have been MANY threads on the Carbonlite rod and PQ reel if you want to hear other folks opinions...

Good luck !