Sign in to follow this  
Gangley

Questions about Berkley Vanish Leader

Whats the difference between the Vanish Flourocarbon Leader and a regular spool of Vanish Flourocarbon?  There is a distinct difference in price between the two, and I am curious as to why that is.

from what i have researched, the leader material is much tougher than the mainline. They put admixtures in the mainline formula to make it more supple so it won't be so stiff and will stay on your reel while the leader material has better abrasion resistance, is stiffer, and tougher.  From what i have read, the mainline is your typical spool used for casting line while the leader material is strictly used for leaders and is considerably better while the mainline should not be used for leader material.  Just looking to see if anybody can validate that.

You may be correct for other line makes, but in the case of Vanish, I'd look elsewhere.

x2. Run, don't walk, away from Vanish.

x3. I will never use poof, uh, I mean Vanish ever again. Might as well call it poof, because poof! That's just what the fish will do. It's going to vanish.

thats interesting that you all say that, considering i havent lost a fish on regular 10 lb vanish yet.  I have used it alot as a leader for braid, and havent had any issues with it yet, and have pulled in numerous fish with it.

researching more, it appears that regular vanish should not be used for leaders as it is made with different polymers or something to make it more supple.  Maybe that is why so many of the people on this board have had issues with it, I wonder if yall were using their regular flouro as leader material.  Even still, I wouldnt think it would make that much of a difference so there might be something there to lookout for.  thanks for all the replies guys.