Sign in to follow this  
-nick-

BPS reel trade in

So I was thinking I'm about to have 2 reels that just sit around, but they're cheap reels, one that's about to crap out, and one that broke and I 'tried' to fix.

The one that is about to crap out on me is the Black Max, which is a 50 dollar reel which means 10 dollar credit which I'm sure they'd take. The one that I 'tried' to fix is what I'm wondering if ya'll think they'd accept for not.

It's a Daiwa Megaforce w/that twitchin bar thing. Well the twitchin bar got stuck and it wouldn't let the reel work at all, so I figured instead of trashing it might as well try and see if I can take that bar off. So I went in there and ended up getting it off, but in the process some parts came off that I didn't know where they went. haha So i put it back together, and it casts just fine, but it has some resistance when reeling back in and after you cast you have to manually push the thumb bar back up because it doesn't automatically when you just start reeling anymore. Anyways would they still take this and give me 10 dollars credit?

I mean it looks fine, just doesn't have the twitchin bar and a little harder to reel in. Would it be a waste of time taking it?

the credit you get depends on the reel you are gunna BUY dont it

the credit you get depends on the reel you are gunna BUY dont it

I thought it gives you credit based on how much your reel retails for? So if I were to get 170 dollar reel, and traded in my Black Max I'd get 30 dollars off? That makes no sense to me.

And now after you say that I read the bottom and it says they will be inspected, AND they're being donated so it'd be a ****** bag move turning in a crappy reel so I guess that's a no on the Megaforce. But the Black Max works fine for now so I'll probably still take that one.

The discount you get is based on the cost of the reels you purchase. The reels that BPS gets in the trade in are donated to youth, so it doesn't matter how much the reel you donate retails for. It only matters that it still works.

I know thats what they did last year here is last years chart

$5 - $30-48.99

$10 - $49-74.99

$15 - $75-99.99

$20 - $100-119.99

$25 - $120-159.99

$30 - $160-199.99

$40 - $200-249.99

$50 - $250-499.99

$100 - $500 and up

the number on the left is the discount and the numbers on the right are the price range of the reel you are going to buy

I know thats what they did last year here is last years chart

$5 - $30-48.99

$10 - $49-74.99

$15 - $75-99.99

$20 - $100-119.99

$25 - $120-159.99

$30 - $160-199.99

$40 - $200-249.99

$50 - $250-499.99

$100 - $500 and up

the number on the left is the discount and the numbers on the right are the price range of the reel you are going to buy

Yeah I get it now. Thanks guys. I don't know what to do with this megaforce now I guess it's just going in the trash.

I think this is more of a sales gimmick than it is used to actually get fishing equipment to into kids hands. 

If they wanted to do that they could just give the kids a ton of Zebcos for about $15 each instead of giving you $40 for a worn out baitcaster that no kid can cast.  I have been told this is why Shimano will not participate in it.

If it makes you feel any better I traded in an old team diawa about 2 years ago and later noticed it in a display later that year. Knew it was the same because of a slight burn mark on the top.

Oh good, I didn't read all of it when I first posted (newbie mistake :;)) and then felt bad after I read they were being donated. But now that you say that, I don't feel as bad for thinking about trading in my 'fixed' reel. I have a couple cheap spinning reels that I never use that I'll probably donate instead now though. I hope they have the CI4 in stock!