Sign in to follow this  
NorcalBassin

Thoughts on Lamiglas Excel Spinning Rod???

I am in the market for a general use spinning outfit and have narrowed it down to the Excel, Shimano Compre, or spending the extra $$$ for an Avid. I had been thinking of the Loomis GL2 until spending a couple hours last night reading unfavorable reviews.

As far as the reel goes, I am leaning towards picking up another Sahara but plan to look at the Abu Soron STX and Pflueger Supreme. I almost pulled the trigger on a Stradic CI4 yesterday but the foam like handle gave me a cheap feel that pushed me away from sinking $200 into a reel.

I almost exclusively fish clear water reservoirs with pretty light tackle (1/8 to 3/8 oz). I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

I bought the Excel 703 and 704 two weeks ago and matched them with Pflueger Presidents.  The rods were on a show special that made buying both very affordable. I haven't had a chance to fish smallies yet but that's where they will be used.  I like em.

I am in the market for a general use spinning outfit and have narrowed it down to the Excel, Shimano Compre, or spending the extra $$$ for an Avid. I had been thinking of the Loomis GL2 until spending a couple hours last night reading unfavorable reviews.

As far as the reel goes, I am leaning towards picking up another Sahara but plan to look at the Abu Soron STX and Pflueger Supreme. I almost pulled the trigger on a Stradic CI4 yesterday but the foam like handle gave me a cheap feel that pushed me away from sinking $200 into a reel.

I almost exclusively fish clear water reservoirs with pretty light tackle (1/8 to 3/8 oz). I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

It's interesting to me that you'd skip the St. Croix Premier which is comparable to the Shimano Compre and jump straight to the Avid. Is there a reason?

I have a couple Compre's set up with Saharas and its a very good bang for the buck IMO. I use one for shaky-head and the other for jerkbaits. I will admit to a bias not to spend too much on spinning reels though

The St. Croix's just feel okay in my hands and that's just me. I can tell you that the Compre is going to be a no frills, awesome workhorse that will get the job done. It's sensitivity is excellent and quite exceptional for a $100 rod. I have the 6'6" MH 2-piece that is my "panacea" spinning rod. I do everything for toss treble hook lures, t-rigs, jigs, and even drop shotting with it. It was even landed coho salmon thanks to my dad. I reckon its 1-piece sister would be a bit sweeter in the sensitivity department and the 2-piece is no slouch.

With that said, I was very impressed with the Lamiglas Excels. They felt good in hand, at least the models I tried.

I think I need to give the bait monkey answer and say to get one of each. ;D I'd go for the Lami, but only because I already have a Compre.