Sign in to follow this  
hooked@2

Gander Mountain deal -- Did I get a quality deal?

Gander Mountain is having their "First Cast" sale right now.  Pretty good deals on everything.  Bait Monkey bought a 6'6" All-Star rod paired with a Pflueger Echelon reel.  The combo usually sells for $119.  They had it marked down to $79 and I got a ticket at the door for an extra 10% off.  Having not bought a new rod or reel in 30 years I am unfamiliar w/All-Star and Pflueger.  Is this going to be a solid combo for the next 30 years?  The rod felt good in my hand, was well-balanced and fit my budget perfectly.  Thoughts on the quality anyone?

Had an echelon for the wife and with her little use the thing didn't last a year. Not sure what happened, all of the sudden things just kind of stopped working.   Could have just been a bad apple but you never know.

That was my first plueger and also my last.

As far as the rod goes, I can't be of much help.

All in all, for the price, if the combo lasts a a couple years you'll be doing good.

I have one of those exact pflueger for a year and a half now and they are OK reels.  30 yrs OK probably not. they are there mid range reels but u did get a good deal the reel itself usually sell for 79 i think and the rod sells for 75 give or take so yeah good deal i think.