Sign in to follow this  
kickbasskid

Line Help!

Okay well I feel like a noob asking these but its time for a change. I want to switch to flurocarbon but i noticed that 10 pound mono has the same diameter as 15 pound fluoro. Does this mean I can use the 15 pound flouro on a reel that recomends 12 max. Second how often should I replace my line. Third how do I know how much line I have on my reel? thank you so much for the help.

The line diameter is all that matters for the reel. You should be fine, just remember when using line heavier than the rating on the rod, you have to keep in mind that the rod may break before your line does, if you get hung up, or catch a giant.

Change your line every year or so. Inspect the last foot or two of your line routinely when you fish. Cut off and re-tie your bait every so often if you notice nicks, or if the line feels like it has been compromised.

You can't really tell how much is on there, other than by looking, or counting how many times you turn the handle when you spool up and multiply by the inches per turn. Divide that by 12 and you will get the number in feet. Divide that again by 3, and you got the number in yards.

I just look to make sure there is about an 1/8" of the spool lip showing after I spool up. When there is, you know it is full.