Sign in to follow this  
Hooligan

St Croix Premier Glass

Anyone fish the 6'6" variety in this one? (PGC66MMF) 

I'm looking at it as being a rod that would be good for throwing traps and spinner baits in grass.  I'm looking at the Premier because the rod isn't going to be one that I'd use day in and day out, but at the same time it's still quality.  I'd really like to justify the Cumara, but I can't for this application.

I have the 6'6 glass version and love it for anything with trebles. However for your application you may want the 7ft glass version instead.

I was thinking that, but I want the accuracy of the 6'6" for smaller baits.  At least that's the direction it's going in my head.

I used to own that rod.  I used it for traps and 1/4 oz spinnerbaits.  It's a pretty good cranking rod, but I wouldn't recommend it for heavier spinnerbaits because they will overpower it.

I used to own that rod. I used it for traps and 1/4 oz spinnerbaits. It's a pretty good cranking rod, but I wouldn't recommend it for heavier spinnerbaits because they will overpower it.

When you say overpower it do you mean that they'll load it down to where there's nothing left in the blank for a hookset?  Or do you mean that on the cast the rod feels like it's over-loading?

On the retrieve. Too much drag from a mid sized to large spinnerbait.  You can still set the hook, but it didn't feel right to me.

I have and am currently using that rod. I really like it. I use it for small cranks, spinners and traps. If the lure is too heavy it just doesn't feel right.

Sounds like, though, the rod will do what I'm asking of it.  Rattle baits, and smaller spinnerbaits should be fine on it for the ascribed purpose. 

Thanks for the input guys.  Much appreciated.

Guest beowulfx71

I have one, it is a great rod and I mostly throw 3/8-1/2 lipless cranks or size 5,6,7 shad rap/glass rap/xrap shads.