Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

Dobyns 733C vs MBR 843 GLX

Aside from the 3 inch difference in length, how do these two rods compare to one another as far as action and power? I just picked up a Dobyns DX744 and 704CB and I love the feel of these rods. I'm considering selling my 843 GLX and picking up the Champion 733. I will be using it as my all around setup for throwing moving baits including mostly spinnerbaits, lipless cranks, and top waters in the recommended 1/4 - 3/4 oz range. Thoughts from those who have experience with both rods would be very helpful, but all opinions are welcome. Thanks.

The Dobyns 743 is more comparable to the GLX in all honesty. The Dobyns 733 is IMO a step up from the IMX but not quite at the GLX level. It's still a very sick rod, I honestly prefer the 734 for the baits you have suggested, except top waters. The 734 handles spinnerbaits and lipless cranks a bit better, and it's got a little softer tip then the 743 does which will help you with those treble hook baits. It's by no means a moderate action rod, just not AS fast as the 743. 

I have owned a 744, 734, and MBR844C GLX, the Extreme rods action is a bit more comparable to the MBR844C.

Both rods will do the trick, more preference then anything. You'll be very pleased.

I knew that I could count on you for a response about Dobyns rods Brokju  ;D I find myself wavering between the 733 and 734 now. I don't usually fish around much cover and also may want to throw a few flukes on with this setup as well. I think the 733 may be the way to go for my intended uses. However, I have also read that the 734 is only a slight step up in power from the 733, so I'm torn at the moment.

I love my mbr842 glx. I use it 75 percent of the time when Im not fishing heavy grass or wood. If you do decide to sell your 843 then lemme know, I may be interested.

I knew that I could count on you for a response about Dobyns rods Brokju ;D I find myself wavering between the 733 and 734 now. I don't usually fish around much cover and also may want to throw a few flukes on with this setup as well. I think the 733 may be the way to go for my intended uses. However, I have also read that the 734 is only a slight step up in power from the 733, so I'm torn at the moment.

It's a tough call. Personally for my style of fishing I'd go with the 734, but I do prefer heavier action rods. The 733 is an awesome fluke rod, and from the sounds of it, will probably do you just fine. I always stay on the heavier side for everything and others stay on the lighter.

If the 733 has the same or slighty more backbone than the 843 GLX then that is the rod I will go with. If not, then I will likely go with the 734. Can anyone comment on this comparison?

If the 733 has the same or slighty more backbone than the 843 GLX then that is the rod I will go with. If not, then I will likely go with the 734. Can anyone comment on this comparison?

Based on the 844C GLX vs my 734, (it's been a long time but..) I remember the 844C having a faster tip then the 734, but the 734 having the same if not a tad more backbone. Sorry I can't compare the 733 with the 843. Just trying to help if someone can't make a direct comparison.

I really appreciate the help Brokeju. Your last post leads me back towards my original thought, which is the 733. I'm sure the 3 power will have plenty of backbone for the baits I will throw and fish I will catch here in CT (PB ~ 5lbs), as well as the tip for throwing those lighter lipless cranks and flukes when necessary.

I replied on TT, but will add some more here. I've caught 5-7lb bass on both the 733C and 734C and the thing I noticed was that the 733C flexed quite a bit more when under load because of its softer tip. Once you get into the backbone it is still a powerful rod, and can pull fish from cover, it just requires a little more oomph from the angler. The reason I use the 734C is that during the warmer months I fish around a lot of grass. I've used the 733C earlier in the year when there's almost no grass. I still prefer the 733C for casting ease and accuracy. It's the perfect power and action for slinging blades. If I used one for flukes it would be the 733C. I use my GLX 843C for flukes. Really, unless you are fishing around larger areas of dense cover the 733C should do you nice. If you check various forums most anglers prefer a 3 power (medium-heavy) rod for spinnerbaits. Those that choose a 4 power (heavy) rod are often fishing heavy cover.

Too bad you aren't located in Northern CA. My local tackle shop has the Dobyns rods for 25% off plus no sales tax. I picked up another 734C and 735C yesterday. ;)

Wow. 25% off sounds like an unbeatable deal. I just placed a large order with TW (thats when I picked up the DX744 and 704CB) so hopefully I will be able to get myself to wait until they have one of their 20% off sales before I place another order including the 733. From what you are telling me, it sounds like the 733 will make an excellent lipless crank rod as well. Thanks for all the help guys. I think I have all the answers I needed.