Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Loomis Mossyback BCR854

What's your opinion about this rod & can it be versatile for any other techs?  Spinnerbaits, swimbaits, frogs, what?

I've only fished that rod a couple of times, my brother owns two of them.  He fishes a myriad of baits with it.  everything from tubes to 3/8oz Spinnerbaits.  About the only thing he doesn't fish on it are cranks.

My experience with it has been limited to jigs and plastics, because that's what we were fishing at the time.  Nice rod for sure.

This is my main pitching rod.  Should be a good frog rod as well.  I have mostly thrown 3/8-1/2 oz jigs, and creature baits on it. Have not thrown spinnerbaits or swimbaits on it.  Had 15# p-line CXX-srong on it last year.  Put 65# power pro on it this year. 

The BCR854 is a great rod, I own the BCR864 in Mossyback, and BCR803.  The 854 can handle everything the 864 can, I throw big frogs, jigs, swimbaits and also heavy T-Rigs with it too. I have yet to find where it excels, but I feel it performs flawlessly in every bait I've thrown.

If you throw alot of spinnerbaits, look into Loomis's Spinnerbait series, I had one and my biggest regret, well was when I had to sell it.  Dont hesitate on grabbing one if you can, you wont be disappointed.