Sign in to follow this  
walleyejgr

okuma spinning reels

first off just got on board nice site!  anyway anybody got any opinions on okuma spinning reels? lookin at the new trio 20 series just wanted to get some input thanks

steer away from okuma reels.  I've had bad experiences with them.  Go with shimano, daiwa or abu garcia, you'll be better off.  For spinning reels look at the shimano symetre(around $100), sahara($70), and sedona($50).  These are really good reels for the money.

The trio is one of the best new reels on the market. I work at Sport Chalet and can hands down say that this reel is equal to or if not better than a similarly priced shimano. Okuma recently merged with Tiburon Engineering, who made heavy duty saltwater reels, and their new equipment is much better than their old stuff. Try it out and youll be pleasantly suprised!

Okuma makes a great spinning reel.  I have two that are 7 years old and they have held up very well and performed well.  They have made some great strides in the last two years and are worth at least serious consideration. :) 

I picked up a Trio this winter, works great so far. Very smooth, and very crisp feel. Theres not even a hair of slop in this reel.

I fish over 200 days a year and have been using the same three Okuma spinning reels for the past six years with out a single mechanical problem. They are missing a little paint though. I would recommend them to anybody.

The bad things you hear about Okuma from those who have never had an Okuma spinning reel is due to their horrible baitcasters that they made a few years ago. They have come a long way sence then.