Sign in to follow this  
Craiger12

What length for a shakey head rod?

What length rod do you guys prefer to throw shakey heads with and why? I generally prefer longer rods in the 7'-7'6" range for most techniques. I figure the longer rod will help with casting distance. Does it really make a difference in the performance or is it more personal preference? Oh and I prefer casting, but I know most or many would choose spinning for shakey heads.

i usually use 6'9" for shakey med spinning because i use 1/16 to 1/4 oz shakey head jig so it is impossible to throw 1/16 and 1/8 on casting reel

i usually use 6'9" for shakey med spinning because i use 1/16 to 1/4 oz shakey head jig so it is impossible to throw 1/16 and 1/8 on casting reel

It's definitely NOT impossible to effectively throw 1/16 oz and 1/8 oz baits on a casting reel.  I do it regularly with both a Daiwa Presso and a supertuned Daiwa Pixy (Pixzilla).

Depending on the weight of the bait I'm tossing, I like a BCR 802 or BCR 852 GLX when casting shakey heads.  I use a SHR 822 GLX most often when fishing a shakey head, but sometimes opt for casting gear.

Bronzefly, I saw your post on another forum regarding throwing 1/16 and 1/8oz shakey heads with an upgraded Core 50/Aldebaran. Do you think these reels can handle the task of throwing 1/16 - 1/8oz  shakey heads in stock form, without a bearing upgrade? Lets say for example that I'm throwing them rigged with a zoom trick worm.

I know a set of ABEC 9's and some cleaning and polishing expand the low end of the capabilities of both the Core and Aldebaran.  I think that 1/8oz with a trick worm - which is a decent sized bait - would be the lower limit in stock form.  Pairing with the right rod and line will make a substantial difference as well.  I prefer the Presso and Pixzilla when I drop down to 1/16oz shakey heads and smaller plastics on casting gear.

I almost always prefer rods 7' and over, too. But I feel like I've found a good fit for shakey worms with my walleye jigging rod, a 6' M/F SJR722 GLX, after trying a custom GL3 7' 6" ML/F and Avid 7' ML/F over the last few years. Although this is pretty much a clear water technique, I tend to keep the casts shorter because I have more control over lure's action. I feel it's easier to keep the action extremely subtle with the shorter rod. I see most of these TS rods for shakey worms seem to be in the 6' 9" to 7' range, so I might be in the minority on this one, but a shorter rod has worked better for me.