Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

Which is better, the Kistler Magnesium or the Argon?

Like the title says, which do you like best and why?  I see the Argons are on closeout for $100 at one store.  Or would I be better off looking at one of the new $100-150 rods.  Strictly casting, not spinning.

I have communicated with one gentleman who had a couple Argons, but got rid of them.  Can't recall the exact reason at the moment.   Either tip heavy or not as sensitive as some others.

The Magnesiums were VERY highly rated on another forum.

I have only used Argons & LTX's.   I believe the Argon has blank construction that is similar to the LTA and LTX.  I believe the Magnesium has different blank construction.  Also, the Argon has Alconite guides, whereas the Magnesium uses Hardloy.  The Argon rods are probably a better deal now, but may not have future "trade/resale" value because they were distributed for only one year.

Give Kistler a call to see which best suits your needs.  If you are looking for a very specific technique, the Magnesium line will have more options.

I have only used Argons & LTX's. I believe the Argon has blank construction that is similar to the LTA and LTX. I believe the Magnesium has different blank construction. Also, the Argon has Alconite guides, whereas the Magnesium uses Hardloy. The Argon rods are probably a better deal now, but may not have future "trade/resale" value because they were distributed for only one year.

Give Kistler a call to see which best suits your needs. If you are looking for a very specific technique, the Magnesium line will have more options.

I just got into baitcasting equipment starting in February. So far I have been buying rods that are capable of performing several applications (as I feel most are anyway). One thing I've never tried, but want to, is learning how to use a Carolina rig.

I think I have one rod that may handle that chore, a Fenwick Techna AV 7' MH Fast. If I like using the C-rig, then I am considering getting a rod dedicated just for that. I seem to recall reading that a rod longer than 7' would be preferable. Am I remembering correctly?

Which is better, Alconite or Hardloy? I thought the LTA and LTX were top tier rods in Kistlers lineup. Are they?

EDIT:  I have to be honest.  The main reason I was considering an Argon is price.  I need a couple more rods, but not much $$$ to spend on them.

Alconite is Fuji's step up from Hardloy.  LTA and LTX are further up Kistler's line.  The new Z-Bone is the top for them...

The AVC70MH is an awesome rod.  I had the AVC66MH - super sensitive.  One thing to realize is that the Techna AV's are rated fairly conservatively for their power.  I find the Kistlers generally are neutral to their lure/line ratings.  Thus, a MH Kistler will not feel as powerful as the MH Techna AV.  I found my Techna AV MHF felt like HF rods from other lines.

C-Rigs are not currently in my bag of tricks, so I can't give you advice there.  The 7'2MH Argon MAY not feel as powerful as your Techna AV, but the 7'1 and 7'6" Heavy Argons may be fairly stout in comparison since they seem to be better suited for Flipping.  I'm considering one of the Heavy Argons if I can't make another LTX or a G Loomis IMX happen this year...

I did like my 2 Techna AV's but I sold them because I like the features of Kistlers. 

A 'thank you' to both of you gentlemen for the input.  It is appreciated.

Most peoples problem with Kistler's Argon series is an indicitave problem they have with the company as a whole. The argons were awesome rods...but only made for a short time. If you filled your locker with them and for some reason a replacement was needed...tough luck they don't make them any more.

I don't know anyone that has used a Kistler rod that has had a beef with performance or customer service, it has been with inconsistency. In their rod lineup offerings (Argons as case in point) as well as with some bad batches of blanks. But to the company's credit they have (in my experience) been more than gracious in dealing with their customer service. It told me a great deal about the company when the email sent to the owner's name was responded to within 30 minutes and my issues were resolved in a fair and timely manner.

Thus why I say, if you can handle falling in love with a rod that you will not be able to replace should the unthinkable happen... go for the Argon. If you want a rod that you will love and be able to replace then pay the extra for the Magnesium. The Argons aren't made any longer.

I personally own 2 LTA's and the rest of my lineup I filled out with their Carbon-Steel series. They are a great rod for the price point. Blanks feel a lot like the magnesiums; nice backbone and action, and load up nicely. The trade off is made in the Pacific Bay reel seat and guides instead of fujis.

Most peoples problem with Kistler's Argon series is an indicitave problem they have with the company as a whole. The argons were awesome rods...but only made for a short time. If you filled your locker with them and for some reason a replacement was needed...tough luck they don't make them any more.

I don't know anyone that has used a Kistler rod that has had a beef with performance or customer service, it has been with inconsistency. In their rod lineup offerings (Argons as case in point) as well as with some bad batches of blanks. But to the company's credit they have (in my experience) been more than gracious in dealing with their customer service. It told me a great deal about the company when the email sent to the owner's name was responded to within 30 minutes and my issues were resolved in a fair and timely manner.

Thus why I say, if you can handle falling in love with a rod that you will not be able to replace should the unthinkable happen... go for the Argon. If you want a rod that you will love and be able to replace then pay the extra for the Magnesium. The Argons aren't made any longer.

I personally own 2 LTA's and the rest of my lineup I filled out with their Carbon-Steel series. They are a great rod for the price point. Blanks feel a lot like the magnesiums; nice backbone and action, and load up nicely. The trade off is made in the Pacific Bay reel seat and guides instead of fujis.

Okay, then the Argons are good rods. Balance was the reason the gentleman mentioned in the OP sold both of his. I was hoping to buy a new rod and reel with my tax return. May not happen. A visit to the dentist yesterday resulted in having to make an appointment with an Endodontist. Will have to see how bad the bill is before moving forward with the new fishing equipment. :'( :'(

I hope your username is not indicative of your physical state. I know how bad that can be. My last bout with it resulted in a bit over $150k for a hospital stay caused by blood clots in both veins that ran from my knee, through the groin, and up to a filter in my Inferior Vena Cava that had been inserted there the year before. Luckily it stopped there. Course I now have to live with the results caused by the clots.

Got up and down the stairs by scooting on my butt. Couldn't walk more than a few steps. Couldn't stand. Couldn't lay down. Sitting was the most pain free. The results...blood clots.

I've had kidney stones a couple times.  I'll take them any day compared to the back pain I had.

Unfortunately, the condition came before the username. But thankfully, not as disabling as you have experienced. I ruptured my L4,L5 disc playing basketball shortly after high school. The sciatic pain and numbness continued to worsen until I could no longer climb stairs or do normal every day activities. Surgery was the option I chose being so young, and it helped but scar tissue still keeps me in pain daily. Again, thankfully not nearly what it was!

Get the powell rod for 95 bucks plus you get free shipping.

I just got one from our sponsor *** - they price matched. I'm anxious to see how it compares to my Kistlers :) I probably would have gotten another Kistler, but I haven't seen the configuration I need fall into my budget :(

And, it's fun to try something different :)