Sign in to follow this  
Mike Z

Quantum reel question -signature series

I was looking at a new reel today, mostly because it would cost me $50 or less. It was a Shaw Grigsby signature series reel. (baitcast) I was kinda saving for a Revo SX in left hand retrieve but for the price and me starting in baitcasting I figured what the heck. In doing some searching they were normally about $120 or $130 reels and were new a few years back. Also realize that signature series reels are more lower end and aimed at mass market because of name recognition.

Wondering if you guys think this reel would be a good deal for a beginner baitcaster or if you know anything about them.

<edit> In doing some searching, it seems as though this reel is fairly similar to an accurist or accurist PT reel.

I'm a Quantum guy and haven't had any experience with the Shaw Grigsby model reel but did purchase one of the BPS KVD Quantum reels in place of the latest Catalyst last year. I took the reel back as I wasn't happy with the performance and purchased the Kinetic PTI-B and it's a much better reel. From my experience I would say either purchase the Accurist/Accurist PT which can be found on ebay for about $50 and stay away from the Shaw Grigsby model.

I don't know about the reel, but the baitcaster is one thing that you really don't want to "skimp" on. Generally, you will end up spending more in the future.

If it were me facing this decision, I would let patience prevail and save up for the reel that I really want.

Better reels not only will take care of you better, they are actually easier to learn on, contrary to what you might initially perceive. Almost everyone goes through this, "Let me just try something cheap to learn with first," myself included.

If you start with a reel in the Shimano Citica or Abu G Revo S class or better (or whatever reel company), you will not only thank yourself later, you will also learn faster.

i agree.

i own several quantums. dont let people talk you out of the brand. but the truth is the best reel you can afford is the best thing to do. if you were really wanting a revo sx then by all means... save up and get one. they are awesome reels.

if you dont want to fork down that much cash and are antsy to start trying though... as mentioned above you can find the accurist pt's on ebay for very good prices... and they are great reels for the money. i have three. the accurist pt, an older accurist and an acurist pts which is saltwater designed. they all are great reels and cast a mile.

the revo's cast control may be better suited for a newbie however as sometimes the quantum brakes have three settings no matter how many numbers are on the dial. lol.

on, off, somehwere in between.  works great for me... but like i said... the revos and better yet daiwas have better magnets.   

As a general rule, I stay away from "angler signature series" branded baitcasting reels and rods.  Just not my cup of tea. 

Well I was listening to you guys and not going to buy but then I found a coupon I got from when I purchased my fishing license. So I figured for $40 I could play around and not feel bad if I didn't like it. If I couldn't get into the reel or just baitcasting in general then I am out a few bucks vs over a hundred if I had bought the Revo or similar reel. And if it works out then I have a decent reel to practice with and learn. On the plus side, this thing has a switch for flipping.

Guess I'll have to report back as to wether I made a stupid move or not.

Well I was listening to you guys and not going to buy but then I found a coupon I got from when I purchased my fishing license. So I figured for $40 I could play around and not feel bad if I didn't like it. If I couldn't get into the reel or just baitcasting in general then I am out a few bucks vs over a hundred if I had bought the Revo or similar reel. And if it works out then I have a decent reel to practice with and learn. On the plus side, this thing has a switch for flipping.

Guess I'll have to report back as to wether I made a stupid move or not.

Sounds like a good move and I have an Accurist PT which is what this reel sounds like as you mentioned. The Accurist are great reels and love the flipping switch and good luck and let us know how it goes

i have had nothing but issues out of my expensive quantum bc's reels. i doubt ill ever buy another. its so hard to beat a good abu, daiwa and esp shimano as far as quality and quality control is concerned. just my opinion