Sign in to follow this  
ScottR

help me decide how to set up my rigs!! Please!!!

I have round reels - 3- 4600c3's, 2-4600c4's, A couple of 5000's. All are on old ugly stick and berkley rods.

I plan on getting into a couple lo pro reels such as revo stx's or maybe ardent xs1000's. If I get the revos Ill prob use vendettas or bucoo's for the ardents.

What rods and what techniques would you use the round reels for? Im looking at buying a couple rods each month to set these up and tring not to spen more that a hundred bucks. I like the falcon originals. Whats the best bang for the buck?

I love fishing carolina and texas rigs, Soft baits and spinners.

I have a heavy 7' 6" Jim moyer rod with a 5500 c3 on it for flipping

thanks for any help

My personal opinion is that you can use your round reels for anything you want.  For years I used them for worming, spinnerbaits, topwater, cranking, you name it.  Over time, I've replaced most of them with newer gear.  Recently I replaced two of my last three round reels because they were "going south" on me and they were old reels and hard to find anyone to work on them (they were Browning Midas 6's).  One was on my topwater rod and the other on one of my crankin' sticks.  I still use an old Quantum Iron 4 on my second cranking rod and it works like a champ.  Your Ambassadeurs are good for whatever you want as long as they're properly maintained, although you'll most likely get more distance out of something newer.

I have smaller hands, so I don't use the round reels so I won't be able to help there. I will vouch for the falcon originals though, A pretty good rod in my opinion.

-gk

Any technique where a little extra line capacity is in order would be good for the round reels. I personally like to use a round reel when working deep structure with jigs or carolina rigs. They hold more line for the long casts with the heavy lures and allow for dropping it to the required depth and still have some line on the spool.

They are also good when using any heavier bait like a spinnerbaits, jigs, or even large crankbaits or swimbaits. Again, I feel the advantage is higher line capacity.