Sign in to follow this  
Vinny Chase

Drop Shot Rod

The cover you face will need to influence your decision. A rod for drop shotting open water rip rap is probably not going to be a good choice if you wanted to drop shot near some weeds and lily pads.

The "typical" drop shot rod for the "finesse" set up I have seen have these general specs:

Rod Power: Medium Light to Medium

Rod Action: Moderate through Extra Fast Action

Length: As short as 6'3" to just over 7'

Lure Weight Range: 1/16 through 1/2 (these are the extremes - many rods typically have a 1/8 - 3/8 oz range

Line Weight: 4-10 lb

As noted, this is general. I would reckon that a general purpose rod with these specs should do well for drop shotting.

The cover you face will need to influence your decision. A rod for drop shotting open water rip rap is probably not going to be a good choice if you wanted to drop shot near some weeds and lily pads.

The "typical" drop shot rod for the "finesse" set up I have seen have these general specs:

Rod Power: Medium Light to Medium

Rod Action: Moderate through Extra Fast Action

Length: As short as 6'3" to just over 7'

Lure Weight Range: 1/16 through 1/2 (these are the extremes - many rods typically have a 1/8 - 3/8 oz range

Line Weight: 4-10 lb

As noted, this is general. I would reckon that a general purpose rod with these specs should do well for drop shotting.

Thanks for the response. Yea I will be fishing mainly heavy cover areas so I will go a little heavier in power/longer length

My partner kills them on a 7', 2" MH Carrot stick drop shot rod.  I prefer to catch them on a 6', 6" Johnny Morris M action rod.  I didn't like the 7' M carbon lite.  I should sell that sucker.