Sign in to follow this  
grimboy

Topwater Rod Question

What would be the best for fishing topwater frogs a heavy xf or mh fast.Any info would be great.

Most people seem to be going with 7-8' H power, F action rods for hollow body frogs in heavy cover.  Some opt for lighter rigs, like 7' MH/F if they fish mostly edges or lighter cover, or if they fish Texas rigged toads more often than hollow bodied frogs.

BI has it right. My HB frog rod is an old 7' MH BPS Extreme Walleye "Spoon" rod. It's really more of a heavy-fast action. I have an equally old Browning Aggressor reel on it, with equally old 20# Moss Green Fireline. It'll throw a Spro Bronzeye into the next county, and has pulled more than its share of 4+ pounders out of the slop.

A 7' heavy power with fast action is best for sloppin' with frogs. I will go with a medium rod with a fast action for buzzin' frogs and rage shads.

I just found an old Castaway Studley Dudley Topwater Special, and I love it so far.

I use a 7'6" MH/fast flipping stick for my frogs. It works great haven't had any power issues yet been able to pull pretty much anything in with it.

Personally my two favorite rods for fishing frogs are the G.Loomis GL3 MBR844C and G.Loomis GL3 MBR845C.

Both are 7ft heavy action rods with the 845 being a little more powerful for the real heavy cover.

I probably own 10 different brands of frog rods, I am a frog nut what can I say, but keep coming back to these two rods for they just feel and perform right to me.

GL3 don't have the following the IMX or GLX does and for other things such as worms and jigs the IMX and GLX blows the GL3 away, but for throwing the frog it's perfect IMO. I have also heard, but do not own one yet, that the MossyBack BCR875 makes for a great frog rod. It's a 7'3 mag heavy rod.

Basically a 7ft plus heavy action rod with a fast tip is what I am getting at, but if you can afford the G.Loomis it's the ticket.