Sign in to follow this  
Primus

Anyone use the Loomis SHR822S Shakey Head rod?

I see they also make a GLX version, I would appreciate your feedback on either one as I'm thinking about adding one to my aresenal. Also, what is the main difference between this rod and a regular IMX or even GLX spinning rod? Thanks

I have the GLX SHR822S. It is one bad a** rod. It's the best spinning rod I've ever owned, used, handled, etc....I bought the regular SHR822S first and it left a little to be desired. Although it was a good rod, I didnt feel like it was any better than comparable spinning rods in the sensitivity dept. It was not what I expected at all, so I sold it. I then bought the GLX version and the difference between the two was night and day. The GLX is lighter and about 10 times more sensitive. The recoil guides on the GLX blank is an awesome combination. I'd spend the extra dough on a GLX vs. a Loomis specialty blank rod any day of the week.

Question for 5 Bass limit, do you fish it with Florocarborn line and does Florocarbon if you use it sail through the guides as well as it would on their regular Fuji guides? Casting distance would be important to me, I anticipate using 8lb Trilene Floro.

I don't own one, but have read countless positive reviews on it. I can tell you that it is a gorgeous rod....I love the lime green wraps.

Oops....I'm speaking of the Loomis drop-shot rod.

Fluorocarbon is all I use on it and for what it's worth, I couldn't tell a big difference between the two in the casting dept. although I really didnt pay much attention because both did well. What I'm saying is, I would've noticed if the recoils hampered the distance, but I didnt notice that.

I have one. I like it. VS other rods, it's not that sensitive. Not terrible. Don't let these comments scare you away. It's just at it's price point there are more sensitive rods.

However the length and action IMO are perfect.

I've got a Pflueger Supreme 8030 on mine and it is a nice balanced/light combo.

The GLX SHR822S is an unbelievable rod.  I just got into shakyhead this year and after buying that rod, it has become my goto technique (not because I am good at it, but because I love just fishing with that rod).

I had the standard SHR 822 and now have the GLX version - the standard version is a very nice shakey head rod.  It is definitely sensitive and a great option if fundinig the GLX is an issue.  However, the GLX SHR 822 is one amazing rod.  I use 8 to 10lb FC and sometimes even use a braid w/ FC leader.  

Thanks guys for the feedback, I'm not totally sure which one I will get between the GLX & regular version but I'm setting aside some coin in my fishing fund to get one this winter to use next spring.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I'm not totally sure which one I will get between the GLX & regular version but I'm setting aside some coin in my fishing fund to get one this winter to use next spring.

Go ahead and get the GLX Shaky Head rod. That way you'll just skip right over buying the regular SHR, using it and having to sell it to get the GLX. You know you want the GLX.  :)

Go ahead and get the GLX Shaky Head rod. That way you'll just skip right over buying the regular SHR, using it and having to sell it to get the GLX. You know you want the GLX. :)

GREAT advice! ;)

I see they also make a GLX version, I would appreciate your feedback on either one as I'm thinking about adding one to my aresenal. Also, what is the main difference between this rod and a regular IMX or even GLX spinning rod? Thanks

My fishing buddy has a couple GLX's... I don't even like to touch them because it makes my wallet start to burn. They are great rods.

Five Bass Limt, Sanother siteBasser & Bronzefly thanks for the great advice, after having used this rod now for a few weeks all I can say is that I'm extremely pleased with this purchase.  :)