Sign in to follow this  
ib_of_the_damned

Berkley Fireline Original Fused?

Have any of you guys used this line?  How does it compare to other braids? I have never fished braid and want to try it out.  I have read on other threads about dye coming off on your reels and thumb, and wearing through rod guides.  Is there a braid that won't stain your thumb or reel, and is safe for line guides?

I never noticed any dye coming off and never had problems with the guides, even on relatively inexpensive rods. I used the original fused on spinning and my only problem was that it didn't cast as far as I liked and didn't seem to some off the spool smoothly. Power Pro has cast better for me, but other Fireline properties were very good.

Fireline is made of fused "dyneema" type filaments. It is not braided per say. I've been using it since it first came out and have never seen or heard of anyone getting stains from it, either on their thumbs or on their equipment. Not sure where you got that idea from?

Most real "braids" - like Power Pro, etc. - are more rounded and seem to perform better, to some folk's ways of thinking. (I happen to like Fireline myself.)

These braids are great when a fluoro leader, 6' - 8' long, is called for. I've had failures though with Fireline and fluoro leaders, for some reason. I think it's the flat design of the line which has a tendency to cut into the leader material - but I could be wrong.

Why would you want to fish that line ? I used it for two years before I figured out that there are much better true braids out there.

i use it and love but i think for a what the heck thing i will try the fireline braid

I prefer braid over the fused Fireline any day of the week.  Braid is much more manageable, where Fireline is too much like piano wire for my taste.  JMO.

I used it extensively and liked it a lot, however I like Suffix and Fireline Braid even more.  The fused is a great line and will serve you well.  Eventually you may prefer braids over it, but not unless you spend enough time fishing both to tell the difference.  Line, like reels, is a preference thing.