Sign in to follow this  
tritz18

G Loomis Topwater Rod

I am looking to get a topwater rod that can throw all kinds of topwaters. The G Loomis topwater rod seems to be the best choice because they offer a 7'2 Heavy version. The reason I am going with the heaviest rod is because I want to be able to throw frogs with it to. That 7'2 Heavy G Loomis Topwater rod should be good for throwing frogs but also many other topwaters correct? I just want to make sure I have made the right assumption before purchasing this rod. Another other suggestions are welcome too. Thanks

For me I just bought a cheap 6'6 MH rod at my local store for about 40 bucks. I didn't think buying something expensive exclusively for throwing topwater was necessary. My thinking is, you really don't need a sensitive rod, just something that is strong and light. Thats just me though, I have everything else Loomis, but a Shimano stick for my topwater.

The thing is, with a frog chances are your going to be throwing them frogs up in some heavy cover where a heavy action rod is a good idea, and 7ft plus is also good for frogs, however your going to want some give with treble hook topwaters, a little lighter action rod M to MH and unless your casting a mile, a rod shorter then 7ft, say a 6"6 to 6"10 would be a better option for most treble hook topwaters. Not to sure that rod would cover you with both. You can probably get by with it, but IMO if would not be the best option to cover both if that's even possible.

I am sure it's possible but I don't think it may be possible to have a rod with enough give for trebles yet enough power for frogs. I hope that makes sense. Although Rick Clunn uses Heavy action rods for topwaters, but that's Rick Clunn of which I am not in the same league as him.

Just my opinion.