Sign in to follow this  
ChiCityBasser

Cabelas Prodigy Rod/Daiwa Exceler Crankbait Setup..Update

I finally added a Cabelas Prodigy to my arsenal of rods. After seeing them on sale for awhile at $60 instead of the normal $100 I broke down and purchased the 7' MH/MF 1pc to use as a crankbait baitcasting setup with a Daiwa Exceler. This is my second 1 pc rod and anxious to see how it handles.  I have both reels and debated on the rod for awhile and told myself if they still had the MH/MF on sale the next time I went in I would put it on layaway. Well the layaway line was too long yesterday and of course that gave me all the more reason to purchase it outright. Seems to be a pretty solid rod and I'll know more bout it once I get it on the water in the next couple of days.

I got out with the Rod and reel yesterday and figured I would try it with Crankbaits and just spend a couple hours with the reel and learning to use it with 1/4 oz shallow diving crankbaits. After following RW's advice and having 12# Ultra Soft added to the reel I spent 3 hours at the lake. I started with the brakes on 10 and quickly adjusted to using the reel and got down to 3. The reel is very smooth and had no problems at all with the 1/4 oz Strike King 1xs. Not one backlash and no problems getting fairly long casts. The rod loads up nicely and caught 5 fish with the largest being close to 2lbs. The rod and reel balance very nicely but might be a tad heavy combo for some but not sure of the exact weight for the rod but the reel is 8.8oz. Nice inexpensive combo with the all the rods on clearance at $60.

I have a Cabela's 5 min. from my house so I've checked out everything they have 5 times over and then some.  I go there just to browse when I'm bored.  The prodigy sure seemed like a good feeling rod and they are just behind the xml in the Cabela's line-up.  I have 2 xml's,  but $60 is a great deal for that rod I believe.

I have a Cabela's 5 min. from my house so I've checked out everything they have 5 times over and then some. I go there just to browse when I'm bored. The prodigy sure seemed like a good feeling rod and they are just behind the xml in the Cabela's line-up. I have 2 xml's, but $60 is a great deal for that rod I believe.

I do the same thing as far as browsing Cabelas and I have 1 xmlti, 4 xml's, 1 mag touch, 2 fish eagle II and now the prodigy.

I've been happy with all my other Cabelas Rods and I'll be getting out with it on monday since the store is open today I can get line on my Daiwa Exceler to try Monday as well.