Sign in to follow this  
Nibbles

Dobyns Champion 705CB

So I just pulled the trigger on a Dobyns Champion 7' MH cranking rod. Hopefully it arrives soon. I picked it because it seemed like the most versatile one, since TW said that it was made for fishing not only crankbaits, but jerkbaits and lipless cbs as well.

Does anyone else have this rod? If so, any suggestions for which baits work really well with this rod?

Also, this rod is rated moderate fast action. Would that be acceptable for spinnerbaits as well?

Yes, you can throw spinnerbaits with the 705CB. Many people prefer a more moderate action for spinnerbaits as it allows the fish to really inhale the bait, especially when using braid. Personally, I prefer a fast action for spinnerbaits, which is why I use a Dobyns 733C. I use mono/copoly with all moving baits to allow for some line stretch and shock absorption. I also own the 705CB and think it makes an amazing lipless crank rod. It will work well for any crankbait in the 3/8-3/4oz range, although it probably wouldn't be my first choice for deep divers.

Yes, you can throw spinnerbaits with the 705CB. Many people prefer a more moderate action for spinnerbaits as it allows the fish to really inhale the bait, especially when using braid. Personally, I prefer a fast action for spinnerbaits, which is why I use a Dobyns 733C. I use mono/copoly with all moving baits to allow for some line stretch and shock absorption. I also own the 705CB and think it makes an amazing lipless crank rod. It will work well for any crankbait in the 3/8-3/4oz range, although it probably wouldn't be my first choice for deep divers.

Thanks for the input Craiger! Have you thrown any jerkbaits with the 705CB? If so, how well did it perform? I plan on pairing it up with a Daiwa Alphas Ito 103-Ai so that I can throw anything from 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz. cranks and jerkbaits on it. Do you think lighter cranks (1/4oz) would work with this rod?

As for deep diving, let's just say I'm glad I'm a better jig fisherman than cranker when it comes to 14-20+ feet of water.  ;)

I plan to throw some Pointer 78s and 100s and Staysee 90s on the 705CB early next spring when the water is cold and clear, but I haven't to this point. I'm sure it will handle the task just fine as I prefer a more moderate action for rip baits. The Alphas will make an excellent match for the 705CB. It will be able to throw 1/4oz cranks, but it will do better with 3/8oz and really starts to shine around the 1/2oz mark.