Sign in to follow this  
MarkM

Wreckin Stix vs. Dobyns Savvy 735

With the - hopefully - *** Black Friday sale coming, I was looking to get a rod that would serve multiple purposes for flippin/pitchin, soft swimbaits, and frogs. Yes, I'm aware that there is not a "perfect" rod that will do all of these, so I want the best rod with best compromises (~$170). Jigs/swimjigs will probably see more use on this new rod than the other techniques.

Being "height challenged", I was interested in a slightly shorter than the standard 7'6" rod for this use. I've read on this forum great things about the Dobyns Savvy 735 so I probably couldn't go wrong here. However, I was in a local tackle shop this evening and felt some of the other American Rodsmiths rods (they didn't have the wreckin' stix line) with the golf grip handle and really liked the feel and weight. I was pretty impressed, although have no idea how it will actually fish. Unfortunately, no local dealer carries Dobyns rods - no one I spoke with had even heard of them - so it's impossible to make an in person comparison.

So, my question is: has anyone used the wreckin stix rods, know of someone who has, or can offer an opinion as to which rod I should purchase - the Dobyns 735 or Wreckin Stix? With the Wreckin Stix, I'd probably choose either the swimbait model or football jig model since they have similar lure ratings as the Dobyns 735.

Any opinions/help on this would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mark

Speaking of Powell and I hae not fished a 735 Dobyns. Its a meat stick, also known as a frog rod. Id prefer a 734 for the stuff you mentioned. A 734 is a better all arounder by either manufacturer.

If I were to pick one rod from the Dobyns lineup for the techniques you mentioned it would be the 735C. The only Savvy series rod I have fished is the 734C, however, I logged extensive time on the water this season with the Champion 735C. It is just a fantastic rod, and probably the best compromise for what you plan to use it for. I will add that I do tend to prefer rods with a faster action and the 735C is a true extra-fast rod. It is an amazing pitching rod, excellent frog rod (as long as the cover isn't crazy heavy), it will easily handle soft swimbaits in the proper weight range, and will be great for jigs and swimjigs (especially in or around cover). I think you will be hard pressed to find a better rod for ~$170.

I haven't used the Wreckin Stix, so I'm sorry that I'm unable to comment on them.

I've fished a LOT with a 735 Savvy and Champion. Perfect rod for what you're looking to do. Pitching jigs, dragging jigs, throwing soft swimbaits, swim jigs, chatterbaits, buzzbaits, frogs, that rod can do it all. Extremely versatile. With that Tackle Warehouse sale, definitely can't go wrong.

I've fished a LOT with a 735 Savvy and Champion.

How do you like the split-grip on the Savvy? I've never fished with that style grip.  The grip was one thing that impressed me with the Wreckin' Stix. I wish the Savvy 735 was like the Champion with the full grip; I'd feel more confident with the purchase.

I've fished a LOT with a 735 Savvy and Champion.

How do you like the split-grip on the Savvy? I've never fished with that style grip. The grip was one thing that impressed me with the Wreckin' Stix. I wish the Savvy 735 was like the Champion with the full grip; I'd feel more confident with the purchase.

Honestly, it's not all too noticeable. I think people put a lot more thought into the split grip than what is needed. I agree, for those types of baits, generally I would pick a full grip if given the choice, but I really never thought about it while using it. Another huge factor for me personally is customer service and warranty, I'm not sure how American Rodsmith's customer service is, but Dobyns is certainly top notch.