Sign in to follow this  
zdunham

Delaware River

I live like 20 minutes from the Delaware River and the closest part of the river to me is where I-80 crosses the Delaware. I've never really looked into fishing the Delaware that much but I've heard it is a great smallmouth fishery. Does anyone know where the nearest boat launch on the river is to I-80 or any good spots?

I'm pretty sure there's a launch in Phillipsburg, NJ, but I bet there's one on the PA side even closer to you.  I only fish the upper Delaware because it's a million times more remote and definitely more scenic.  We do 12-15 mile trips that last all day without seeing a single other boat and only a handful of houses.

Anyway I'm sure if you ask at any bait shop nearby they can tell you where any number of ramps or access points in your area are.

There are several. One of them is at the rest area on the Jersey side at the point of the gap. It is a hand launch only. There is good smallmouth fishing in that area as well.

Next would be the Worthington Launch which is 2 miles north of the gap on old mine road.

Next is approx. 6 miles above that it is the Poxamo boat launch.

Or you can go south 15 minutes and launch out of Belvidere.

The launches in Jersey are free launches and do not require a parking fee like the ones on the Pa side.

Now for the Pa side there is Smithfield beach 3 miles north of the gap on river road. Also Bushkill 10 miles north of Delaware water gap on route 209. Each of these areas offer quality smallmouth fishing however the Delaware is much shallower and with a boat with a prop you will more than likely be locked in holes. Delaware is best navigated with a Jet or a kayak, or from shore.

There are several. One of them is at the rest area on the Jersey side at the point of the gap. It is a hand launch only. There is good smallmouth fishing in that area as well.

Next would be the Worthington Launch which is 2 miles north of the gap on old mine road.

Next is approx. 6 miles above that it is the Poxamo boat launch.

Or you can go south 15 minutes and launch out of Belvidere.

The launches in Jersey are free launches and do not require a parking fee like the ones on the Pa side.

Now for the Pa side there is Smithfield beach 3 miles north of the gap on river road. Also Bushkill 10 miles north of Delaware water gap on route 209. Each of these areas offer quality smallmouth fishing however the Delaware is much shallower and with a boat with a prop you will more than likely be locked in holes. Delaware is best navigated with a Jet or a kayak, or from shore.

How is the smallie fishing in Belvidere?  I live in Phillipsburg NJ and have fished alot from shore but I haven't had my boat out there yet.  the level has been high and current strong so I been scared to go out in that but I really want to make it on the old del.  

Yo sharkbite, how high is it?  I'm doing a trip next weekend up north and we're going to be kayaking/canoeing.  A couple guys are bringing their kids and I'm hoping it's not going to be dangerous for anyone.  I'm really just wondering if you worried about your boat in particular because I've been in it and I know it's not set up to go through any rapids or quick water, or if the river is just straight up dangerous for anyone.

hey fish last I checked it was 4' above normal which around here kills the rapids mostly but the current is wicked.  I haven't seen many anglers out there but plenty of Yakers and tubers.

Hope you have fun and be safe dude

Thanks bite.  We're all pretty experienced so it's not a huge deal, but I'm concerned about the kids.  They're all getting to the age where they want to go out on their own in kayaks and are too cool to be in a canoe with dad.  Maybe I'll just bring a couple rafts, which are 100 times safer.

Fished just north of Riverton today with my son (4) from the banks. We had a good time. Caught a few 14-16 bass, crappie and etc...water was still high, guessing 2-3 ft. still. Beautiful day for fishing!  We used live worms and some plastic worms.