Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Outing at Lake Huntsman

Well me, anglernfuego, simonsays, and ado124 all went out to Lake Huntsman this morning to catch some bucketmouths.  Simon showed us how it was done early on by picking off a largie with a white/chartreuse spinner.  I think he ended up catching one more on that spinner but I was on the other end of the d**n so didn't really see.

I managed to pull up a 2lb 3oz largemouth a little later on a silver rat l trap, my first fish on one all season.  Then Andrew also picked off two on a rat l as well.  Both of his were over two pounds, one approaching three.  

I ended up getting one more bass in a cove on a purple senko rigged texposed and weightless.  Then I picked one last one off while I was headed out.  I took a trail into the woods and found a more secluded spot and casted my Mann's Crankbait (minnow colored) out.  Ended up having a blowup as I was pulling it back up out of the water near shore but I missed him.  Then about 4-5 casts later as I was bringing it by the same spot I ended up catching him.  He only went for 1lb 1oz.  So three fish in about 4 and a half hours today.  Some decent ones.  

It was cool to meet some new guys and me Simon and Andrew are planning a little trip to Lake Mercer Thanksgiving weekend.  We are hoping to take Andrew's inflatable raft out there, which would be AWESOME!!!

Hope the other guys had as much fun as I did.  Good job today guys!

Here is the pic of the 2lb 3oz one I caught.  The other guys may post pics later, I don't know if they took pics of theirs.

post-9676-130162939821_thumb.jpg

It was nice to finally be able to meet up with some of the guys on this forum.  I had a good time fishing with Jason, Andy, and Simon and hope nothing comes up cuz I'd really like to get out on mercer that weekend.

Here are the pix of the fish i got. I wish i brought my digi-cam instead of using my phone! Sorry bout the lighting.

Both were caught off a white rat'l trap.  They must have followed that sucker in all the way because they didn't hit the lure till it was at my feet.

First was 2 pounds 1 ounce.  When i released him and he swam up back toward me and actually laid on top a rock for a bit. That rat'l trap must have been that good!

2lb1oz.jpg

Second of the day 2 pounds 12 ounces.

2lb12oz.jpg

img077.jpg

It was alot of fun and i hope to do it again before it gets wayyyyy tooo cold.

Nice LMBs guys, wish I could have been there but I had to work.  I am going to fish this lake tomorrow morning. Anyone want to meet there?

Ron

Andy,

I guess you must have caught your limit yesterday when you kicked my butt at Lake Royal.

I might be able to make it out to fish somewhere in the Nova area on thanksgiving because I'll be home, let me know if you guys make another outing then.

When i released him and he swam up back toward me and actually laid on top a rock for a bit. That rat'l trap must have been that good!

Hahahahhaa..he wanted seconds.  

Ron,

I was thinking the same thing when I was leaving.  Hahahahahah....  That's why it's good to relish the good days.  

I am headed out to Lake Huntman in about half an hour and I will be there all morning.  Any one want to fish today?

I might be able to make it out to fish somewhere in the Nova area on thanksgiving because I'll be home, let me know if you guys make another outing then.

Hey Dan, what are you doing the Wednesday before Thanksgiving?  Will you be around?  I'm headed down to Lake Curtis to fish the bank with my dad for most of the day.  Probably early morning to mid afternoon.  Let me know if you can make it or wanna hook up.  We could meet at my place and I could drive down.  I have two seats in my car if anyone is interested (aside from me and my dad).  First come, first serve.  Would just have to get to my place in Woodbridge.  Pm for more.

Well I fished Lake Huntsman this morning and ended up catching one LMB 2lbs 10ozs.  I caught him on my Manns crankbait.  There is access all the way around this lake for those of you that did not have a chance to walk around the lake.

post-10436-130162939833_thumb.jpg

Caught one of mine in that exact spot.  I like that little point at the mouth of the cove there.  Theres a nice laydown to the left that I had tried a couple times that you have to angle yourself to hit, but it didn't produce anything.  Anyway, nice fish!  Always good to at least nab one, especially a good sized one like that.

I had cast about halfway into the cove and pulled him out of there.   I did see an extremely large fish jump out of the water on the other side of the lake.  If it was a LMB, I would say it has to be trophy size, unfortunately I could not tell what kind of fish it was because it was to far away.  This fish made the largest splash I have ever seen made by a fresh water fish.

I have to work tomorrow night and I have a free day so I am going back to Lake Huntsman tomorrow morning.  Any one want to go?  I plan on being there around 7:00AM over at the cove to the left of the dam.

I had cast about halfway into the cove and pulled him out of there.   I did see an extremely large fish jump out of the water on the other side of the lake.  If it was a LMB, I would say it has to be trophy size, unfortunately I could not tell what kind of fish it was because it was to far away.  This fish made the largest splash I have ever seen made by a fresh water fish.

I've seen Carp doing that at huntsman many times, that's probably what it was.

Yup, back in mid summer (July).  I ended up losing a real nice one fishing the deeper water with a jig.  Tossed it out as far as I could from shore and let it sink into the weeds hoping it through.  Probably hit about 30-35 feet out and I lost him about 12-13 feet from shore.  Was a nice fish, probably my pb, but oh well.  Ended up catching one in about 2 hours that day on a senko worm (watermelon).  He went for a lb.  A guy here on the forum who fishes mainly for trophies gave me some info on better spots to fish so we are going to try some of them out when we go.  Hopefully we can get a nice bag.  Alright man, well I'll see you next Wednesday if not before then.

You busy Saturday?  We are smallmouth fishing down in Fredericksburg.  I'm leaving my place with my dad by 6:15am if you wanna head down with us gotta be up early.  We are staying until about 12:30 in the afternoon.  Gotta come back early cause the wife has errands we gotta do.  Let me know.  If anyone else is interested in this Saturday for smallmouth or next Wednesday at Curtis shoot me a pm and we can work stuff out.  Later guys.

Heya guys, sorry for chiming in so late.  The outing at Huntsman was alot of fun, got to meet J and Andy and finally met up with Andrew (family friends).  The day started out slow but amped up as soon as Jason caught a nice 2lber.  I caught the first fish but it was a dink and I lost a 2nd fish due to some bad drag setting (I miss my baitcaster).  

I also owe Andy a red/black rat-l-trap that I lost some how (I feel horrible  :'( )...probably got it snagged on some shrubs...

all in all some good times!

Smallie fishing this sat sounds good too!

ooooooooooooooh smallies. i want to try. Jason, PM me your addy so I can see how long it'll take to get to your place and how early i have to wake up. that will decide if i go or not.

I fished Huntsman this afternoon and caught one LMB and lost five when I tried to pull them up by the rocks.  One of them was a lunker, man was I hot.  I am guessing by the size of him when he fell off the Rapala SSR7 lure was about 3.5 to 4lbs.  I have never had this kind of luck fishing before (loosing 5).  I lost four on my Rat-L-Trap and the one on the Rapala.

switch out the hooks on the rat-l-trap. They are notorious for coming with crappy hooks.

Dominion Dan,

I just took your advice and replaced the hooks on both of the lures that I had problems with, the Rat-L-Trap and the Rapala. I figured I would do both since I have had the Rapal for a while and the hooks did not seem that sharp. I only wonder what damage I did to the lunker LMB when he fell off as I had him almost completely out of the water when he came off.