Sign in to follow this  
Hung up Paul

Burke Lake

How often do you guys hit Burke Lake?  I've heard that it's kind of a tough lake to fish even though it holds some monsters.  The best way has got to be by boat I would guess.  I've gone a few times during the Summer mainly off the fishing pier.  One guy caught a 7 or 8 lb. Large Mouth on a live minnow one morning in August.  I couldn't believe the size of that thing.  I've caught a few crappie on small spinners and a 1lb. LM on a night crawler.

I rarely visit burke because I really only get to fish on the weekends, and burke is PACKED on the weekends.

I would like to try my luck and rent a boat on a weekday sometime next spring.

I did a lot during the summer.  The biggest fish I've caugth there was a 1.5 lb bass on 10" Berkley power worm Red shad.  Although, this blog that I subscribe to has the writer talking about a guy pulling out a 6 lber about 3 weeks ago.  Here is a quote from his blog "A couple of fellas on a bass boat landed a 6 lb largemouth in the opening of the channel that leads to the boat launch. I think they were fishing a spinner bait. Wow, what a bruiser of a fish that was and I could tell it was large from where I was standing on the shore."  I'm sure there are some big fish in there but with pressure put on that lake I'm sure it's pretty hard to catch those pigs.  

I have only caught one LMB (1.25lbs) there and I have been there twice.  I will most likely try it again and see if I can catch some LMBs.

Burke is indeed tough as a lot of weekend anglers and average fishermen joe folks walk that whole lake fishing from the bank.  On the weekends the boat pressure is pretty crazy too.  Your best bet is to buy a decent depth finder and really plot out this lake as far as deep water structure.  Especially in these late months, you may be able to pick up a few nice ones if you find some decent fall/winter holding spots.

A few folsk on here have done well there, I don't normally catch a lot and when I do they are small (in the 1-2lb range).  If you really wanna fish from the bank you should really walk as far as you can from the vdgif launch or the marina (two parking spots), the further you walk the less pressured the spots.  The coves are better in the spring but I haven't caught any there since probably July.  Points with deep water access and drop offs normally yield good fish.  I hear spinners are the bait to go to if you fish those.  Carolina rigs, power worms, and senkos have been known to pull some nice fish as well if fished near lay downs or flats (which you normally can't access unless you have a boat).  Anyway, best time for me to fish here is spring.  The bait fish are in the coves and plentiful so crankbaits (small) worked pretty quickly through feeding frenzies early in the morning are always a safe bet.  Another bait here would be a Rat-L-Trap.

Can't give you much advice on the fall/winter bite here as I've never fished during that time period.  Good luck if you decide to try it.  You have to be persistent no matter what spot you fish.  The fish don't come easily.  Pound those lures and don't give up.