Sign in to follow this  
rondef

Lake Curtis 11/21/07

I went fishing at Lake Curtis, what a tough day of fishing.  I spent 8 hours fishing a lake that is down extremely low due to the lack of rain.  I spent the first six hours trying various lures and plastics and could not get anything to bite.  Finally toward the end of the day I hooked up with a 2.25lb LMB on a Rat-L-Trap.  This lake is one of the toughest lakes to fish that I have fished this year.  I have only caught one fish in two trips to this lake.  Here is the picture of the LMB I caught.

post-10436-130162939908_thumb.jpg

Very tough!  I tossed everything as well and I manage to lose a hog and catch a dink.  The hog that I missed was caught on a senko.  I found a drop off with some stumps.  Well, I tossed it passed the stumps and was bouncing it up and down off the ground.  Then, just as I have all day thought I was reeling in some weeds because it felt like dead weight, then when I get it a couple of feet from the bank to pull it over a laying tree when I see this huge bucket mouth surrounded by some weeds and my senko hanging from its mouth.  Well, that's when I kick in and try to set the hook but I guess it saw me and with one big splash it bolts down and out comes the senko.  

Has anyone ever experienced a situation where you think you are stuck on weeds and don't even feel like something hit your lure and up comes a fish with weeds and all?

My buddy Marvin taught me a major part of bass fishing. When in doubt, set the hook. Even more so when the water is cold.  When the water is cold your line will go slack or "something" will feel heavy. The bite is alot different than when its warm. Most of the fish I have caught on the shakey head just make the rod feel heavy or real lite. It takes some getting used to. Not like in the summer  , they nail it and take off.  

^agreed. WHen I use a shaky head (which I do a lot) I don't try to feel a bite as much as I try to watch a change in the slack of my line. The way your slack behaves can easily tell you what your bait is doing, especially if it is a weighted bait.

Lake Curtis looks like a bass meca but it very difficult to fish.  I wasted a lot of time there many years ago.