Sign in to follow this  
AnglerNFuego

Bull run Rt 28 Bridge

Well, I went out today for about an hour on the way back from having my car serviced.  It was nice out there for about 10 minutes then the cold wind started to pick up.  You would get a good wind gust about every 5 minutes.  I caught two Smallies and lost about 3.  One of which took me under the huge tree across from the rope for those that know the place.  I could not get him out with the angle he took me.  He finally got loose but he felt pretty big comparing to the other two I caught.  I caught them all on Storm Wiggle Wart.  Unfortunately, the one that took me under the tree lost and got away also is to blame for me getting hung and loosing my Wart.  So, I switched to olive orange tubes and lost the other 2 on the hook set.  

Here are the pictures.  I had to get a quick snap shot because the wind was getting me tangled on the thorn bush below me on the ledge.  So, I was in a hurry to get them back in the water.  

2292504420102264668atrjCB_th.jpg

2954079870102264668TEWprf_th.jpg

28 north after you cross the bridge the parking is on the left; southbound it is on the right before the bridge.  Good fishing both up and down that stream.

Thanks 71Rig. Has anyone fished the pond/lake over near that bridge?  I don't know the name of it but I can see it in goolge maps.

I just found out thatthe lake is called the Upper Occoquan Dam and it dumps into Bull Run right there at Route 28.  The water from that lake feeds into the Bull Run river.  I also learned that a pass can be purchased to fish that lake, it is owned by the Upper Occoquan Sewerage Authority, don't be scared by the name, it is not a treatment pond, it is a lake to control water flow down to the Occoquan Rez.  My guess is that there could be some smallies in the lake as well.

Ron, Its pretty mucyh a waste of time. UOSA is only good for cats. I've been there about 15-20 times and only caught 3 or 4 fish.

access is limited to only two banks as well

Thanks for the information, now I know not to waste my time there. I will most likely try fishing Bull Run though.

Thanks everyone for your comments and providing information on the parking. I have only fished a small portion of the stream. I know from reading some older threads in another site that there are some great spots further down heading towards Bull Run Marina down right around Hemlock overlook Regional Park. I know from reading that from rt 28 to Bull run Marina is a 7 mile hike following the blue trail. For those that haven't fished Rt28 you will see and find out about the blue mark trail.

Also, they were pretty active yesterday. You could see them darting across the stream. It was pretty awesome!

They were probably active because of the high temps. Now it's getting cold again. I hate winter...