Sign in to follow this  
gone_fishin

Lake Manassas

Northern Virginia Fishermen Unite! The city of Manassas has kept the lake captive for too long! WE WANT OUR LAKE BACK!

Please go to myspace.com/lakemanassas and join the rally...we need to be vocal and fight to get our lake back.

I've heard recent reports that land owners are being harrased by the boat police for fishing on the SHORE! Their SHORE! This is BS and must be stopped...please join me in the fight! >:(

I will when I get home. I REALLY want to fish there. I have a co-worker who just doesn't care, he fishes anyway, even though he has a court date for tresspassing at the lake.

unless you live on the lake it is not a big deal. I could see if you bought a house there and you cant fish the lake that blows but if you dont live there the place is not worth fighting for it would be crowded due to you guys fighting hard for it and fishing with crowds blows majorly. use that time you try to open the lake  to scout public but lesser known bodies of water

unless you live on the lake it is not a big deal. I could see if you bought a house there and you cant fish the lake that blows but if you dont live there the place is not worth fighting for it would be crowded due to you guys fighting hard for it and fishing with crowds blows majorly. use that time you try to open the lake to scout public but lesser known bodies of water

I don't live on the lake, but live minutes from it. I've fished there for years. With 22 miles or shoreline, there is room for plenty of fishermen. I don't care if they regulate it, police it, etc. Just open it! I can't stand Brittle because it's overcrowded and still enjoy Germantown Lake, but mostly I venture off onto private property and pond fish (w/ permission)...but I want the lake back - even if only for canoe / kayak fishing! :-/

its bigger than Burke Lake. It would take alot of pressure from there as well.

There's rumors of zebra mussels and terrorist being the cause of lake manassas being closed.

Im sure its just politics. The private golf courses and rich folks don't want tourist trashin up the place. I can understand to a point. Opening Lake Manassas would most likely bring the property value down.

Remember the Golden Rule "He who has the gold makes the rules"

The reason given on the VDGIF website states that the Ryan family, who's property was used as an access point (they had a ramp and parking with concessions), did not renew (or couldn't come to terms with) their contract with the City of Manassas.  They looked for access adjacent to the water treatment facility but Prince William county nixed the idea.  Then they threw in the "fear" factor of terrorism and zebra mussels.  

The latter of the reasons (terrorism and zebra mussels) holds no water (no pun intended) since the Occoquan and Potomac are open to access.  As for the zebra mussel issue that too is a long shot since the quarry in which they were found would not hold boats big enough (for either water) or long enough for their propagation and ultimate transfer.  

So in essence you are getting the shaft from rich people who don't want to see "beer guzzling rednecks" from their Corinthian leather sofa's or Brazilian teak decks.  

I think it all comes down to $ and politics. The terrorist / zebra mussel concerns are just a convenient excuse. There has also been property for sale around the lake where they can build their 'ramp' but that won't happen...they are content with the lake being closed and making it nothing more than an over-sized drainage pond.