Sign in to follow this  
afishaday

Lake Tarpon, Florida Help

Daughter and family have moved near this lake so need some help knowing when the best times during the year might be to come there for several weeks at a time. Will pull a Ranger and will be taking 8 year old grandson (loves to fish and good with artificial baits). I live on West Point Lake in Georgia and will be delighted to provide info about our lake (fish it 4-6 days per week)... figure there might be some help available from you good folks in Florida too:). I do not fish any tournaments... just love to fish... for whatever is biting and the little guy likes action... your suggestions will be most appreciated! THANKS

i saw this post about tarpon right at christmas (on a different forum)... i would imagine if they have a solid pre-spawn as they describe the spawn will also be very good:

"Hi All,

The shiner bite for bass right now is incredible.  The warmer than normal weather has them in 4-6ft in over the hydrilla feeding.  If you fish the south cove slow trolling live shiners catching 25 or more bass will be easy.  Most fish are under 4lbs, however 1 or 2 will be 6lbs or more.  My dad lives in the first house to the south of anderson park and we have been routinely catching 8 bass a night throwing shiners off the dock.  Most of them are under 18inches, but occasionally we will get a 20"-24" bass (once a week or so).  The crappie are all over the south canal by the bridges and the mouth of the canal.  The crappie should move into the bulrush soon, but right now if you fish a bunch of different depths and just drift in the south canal you will eventually find them.  Once you do switch to the depth they were eating at and limit out.  Also, recently I have been targeting blue catfish in lake tarpon.  They are all about 3-7lbs, but they are delicious and easy to catch.  Actually, I think you could throw a chickin liver in at night anywhere on the lake and catch one right now.  Fillet it quick and pan fry it for an incredible meal.  Well, good luck all lake tarpon fisherman (P.S. the pipeline, clam bar, and mid-lake hump are worth a visit for the crappie)"