Sign in to follow this  
hydrasportNC

going to lake okeechobee for first time any GPS way points or info to recommend?

good evening all im coming down to south FL next week from NC  and need any help that is offered. im coming down with family so cant really afford a guide as much as i would like to .

and any do's dont's, tackle ,line,bait and waypoint advise will be aprecated

thanks

p.s. great forum!!

The lake water is still very low but the channels and rim canal are accessable. Use caution and when venturing away from the channels use your trolling motor. There are lots of submerged rocks and boulders.If you are renting a boat, there is Roland Martin's in Clewiston.

There are areas on the SW side that are doing well.

Observation shoal, the monkey box, and tin house cove.

Live shiners, crank baits, and plastics are my sugestions.

I have not been there personally in a while, but the local fishing reports are saying the fishing is good. Hopefully there wont be any cold front passing during your stay, that usually slows the bite.

I dont have any GPS points to pass along, maybe one of the other guys can help you with that.

If you are trailering your own boat, alternates to think about are the Lake Kissimee chain or the Stick Marsh/ Farm 13 or Ansin Garcia.

Good catching.

Thanks for the info it all helpful and I will be towing my own boat and I hear a lot about this Stick Marsh/ Farm 13? Where is it and how far from Ft lauderdale (where i will be staying)?

And any recommended spots near Davie??

I went down there to buy my first boat 2 years ago and caught more bass in two days then a good month in NC not to mention peacock bass! WOW what a fighter!

Well thanks to all that reply in the future!

If you are visiting Davie, Everglades Holiday park is where most of the local tourneys are held. In the spring and summer, the quantity and quality is hard to beat. It is very common for 5 fish @ 25-35 lbs.

The receding water levels in the winter and spring force the bass into the perimeter canals.

Once the summer rains start and the water level rises, the bass leave the canals and head into the flats which are shallow.

The last couple of months have been tough there with the higher water.

We havent had much rain for the last several weeks so the park should be on the upswing. The park has a store for bait and snacks, a good ramp and parking, airboat rides, peacocks running loose and a alligator show. A little slice of old florida. Free

It would be a nice place to take the family. Everglades holiday park is located on US27 seven miles south of I-595 in western Broward county.

Another spot would be Sawgrass Recreation area. It is located on US27 about 3 miles north of I-595. The ramps are poor and so is the parking situation. There is a store and airboat rides there as well.

Good fishing there is conditional if the water level is receding. Free

On the broward/palm beach county line is Arthur Marshall Loxahatchee

Wildlife Refuge. It is located west of SR7 (441) at the end of Lox road.

No facilities or amenities, but there are good ramps and parking.

There is a $5 fee to enter on the honor system. The wildlife officers are usually there every day to lock and unlock the gate. Sunrise to sundown.

For peacocks, check the thread on page two. It has a map to the boat ramp for Clear Lake in Miami. The lake is near the Miami international airport. Ive never fished there but I heard it is loaded with peacocks.

Lastly, the Stick Marsh/Farm 13. It is located about 2 hours north of Ft lauderdale off of I95 near a town called Fellsmere.

It has 2 boat ramps and restrooms. The dirt road leading to the ramp

is long and can be uncomfortable depending on if it was leveled.

The Stick/Farm 13 was once a orange grove. The submerged trees are like bass condos.

If you go there, you will need a nav map to avoid the stumps

Hook up with George Welcome. He is the authority on the area. On page 2, you will find some of his postings and he has a website.

good luck and have a nice vacation.

Dont forget the Fla fishing license - you can get it online and print out yourself.

kevin

Now thats some good info.

The only info I could add is @ Holiday run South for about 20 mins.

Sawgrass the fishing has been slow.

Lox. the water is real high, try the flats.

Stickmarsh get there before sun-up and follow a guide to avoid the stumps. They fish darn near all in the same place, the spillway with shiners.

"Stickmarsh get there before sun-up and follow a guide to avoid the stumps. They fish darn near all in the same place, the spillway with shiners."

Poor advice and an absolutely inaccurate statement.