Sign in to follow this  

Tribble Mill Lake Grayson Ga.  Need some info please.

Today I took my inflatable out to Tribble Mill Park in Grayson Ga. They have two lakes in the park and the fishing is free. One lake is 108 acres and the other is 40.  I have fished the 40 acre lake before and today I wanted to try the larger lake. I got my boat launched and looked in the water and saw some grass that came up to about a foot from the surface.  OK I am thinking this is just around the edge of the lake and that will be just fine, but the farther I got out into the lake I realized that the whole dang lake is consumed by this stuff!!!!  I have never seen anything like it.  

Anyone here know what is going on in this lake and is the rest of the lake fouled by this grass?!?!?

I loaded my boat and went up the hill to the 40 acre lake.  It is just beautiful without this grass problem.  

Any one know what is going on with the large lake.  thanks

sounds like hydrilla to me..

saw a post on it from 9/22/07 that would indicate that it was hydrilla, they said they left at noon tired of catching them...

i like hydrilla

Tibble is covered up with hydrilla. The only place it doesn't cover on the main/big lake are the creek channels and the area around the dam.

i googled tribble mill hydrilla...

fishing hydrilla can be frustrating at first, but i hate it when i see them spraying it on any of the local lakes now, because hydrilla is a fish factory...  if you can find pockets in the middle where it opens up a little and fish a rattle trap or senko around scattered hydrilla thats probably the easiest place to start... you can flip into the matted stuff w/ a 1 1/2 ounce weight, or throw a frog over it, pausing it in the pockets...

i dont know when the bass school in your lake, but schooling bass on hydrilla is about as good as it gets...

I fish Tribble Mill quite often each year. The upper end of the lake is full of hydrilla. But don't get discouraged about it. Hydrilla is a bass magnet. Buzzbaits over the top in the summer time has hooked allot of big bass. Hydrilla is thick on the top but underneath it is like an open forest of fish highways and great places for baitfish and bass to spend their life. I fish it with a heavy jig that will punch through the top. I also like using a fluke or small crankbait along the edges.

Thanks, That is is very encouraging.  After looking at that stuff, I had no clue what to even do or if there was even any fish in there!!

Do you fish all the areas of the lake, even the upper end with all the hydrilla?

Try using a crawfish looking bait with 1oz tungsten weight to penetrate the hydrilla..My biggest bass ever came from this lake and it is hopefully still swimming there..

My friends dad talked to the DNR about the lake being choked out by weeds.  I have been fishing it a few years now, and this summer it had the most grass in it I had ever seen.  If you took your boat out of the channel, your prop would foul up with weeds in seconds.  DNR said that they are aware of the overgrowth and will be spraying it next year or the year after.

As far as the fishing goes, the edges of the chanel will hold fish all year.  I like throwing a Bill Lewis Lures Rat-L-Trap right on the edges of the grass.  If there down farther, I will take the trap and yo-yo it off the bottom.  Also, like Buzzbaitfool12 said, flipping a bait into the mats can produce awesome results.

Good luck  :)