Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Occoquan this Sunday Feb 10 7:30am

Hey NOVA guys, I know your cold, I know the bite sucks and I know you'd rather be warm. But cabin fever will not have the best of me any more. I will be at the town of Occoquan fishing by the foot bridge around 7:30am.  There is a path down to the rocks by the d**n area where I think may be a decent spot for this time of year if we were to catch anything.  Don't think the Striper have moved up that far yet, but you never know. If anyone wants to join me and shoot the stuff or just hang out and practice on the sluggish bass I'll be there.

I figure where the water comes in here might create better oxygen levels for the bass, plus with all the rock cover, if we get any sun over here Sunday maybe it will warm up the water a bit more.  There is deep water access, rocky drop offs, and a break wall to the left where the moving water gets broken up a bit (so maybe it will position bait fish somewhat???).  Not sure.  Don't expect to catch anything, but it should still be fun.  Lemme know folks.

Let me know if anyone wants to tag along.

Lost a couple senkos, a casting spoon and a jig over there this morning.  Had a solid bite on my casting spoon but set the hook to early and the fish came off as I pulled it away.  This kind of water temps you only get one shot too.  d**n.  Don't know if it was a bass or a striper but that thing hit like it was summer time and I was using a weightless senko.  Two solid tugs and the pole was bending back and forth for a few seconds.  

Anyway,  I may try walking across the footbridge on Sunday and walking over to the rocks on the other side.  Maybe fish some deep pockets or pools outside of the current.  Water is still pretty cold though...

It may snow Saturday and Sunday from what my dad said so we will play it by ear for now.  But so far, I'm game.

I'm going to guess it was windy......

Heya guys, J wasn't able to make it so Ado and I went...turns out Bull Run and Fountainhead were closed so we wasted a bunch of time going around to each.  At Bullrun we found a path leading under that bridge and tried from there....no luck...then we just went to Huntsman for a little bit... no luck there =/  

Where do you guys fish out of Occoquan? I went to the park and the only place i could really see was the boat launching area which had no fishing signs on them.  Do you park and walk toward the bridge? I neeed to catch something. I'm in a crazy dry spell right now! !!!!!

Sorry I couldn't make it out guys.  Wife wanted me home spending quality time with her and taking care of stuff around the house.  Anyway, Andrew:

You can fish to the left or the right of the ramp.  Generally since NO ONE is launching right now no one will give you a hard time fishing from the dock there by the ramp.  However this is generally not a good spot.  During the summer and spring fishing under the dock there or fishing from the bank and casting into the grass around the shoreline (by the trees to the left of the ramo) can be pretty productive.  If you wanna walk up to the right of the boat ramp a ways there is actually a path that leads into the woods along the shoreline.  IF you cut through there there are steep drop offs that can hold fish.  Some timber lays around there too which makes it even better.  Good vertical spot.

Or you can park in the next lot down and cast out from the floating dock.  This spot is normally a good spot, my dad caught 10 in just a little over an hour there last year.  There is overhanging trees, drop offs, the channel, and fallen timber there.  Just depends on how crowded it is.  Occoquan is normally a really good spot come spring and much throughout the year.  Good for a fish or two almost every time out.  Best to catch it when the tide is in much like any of our local rivers.