Sign in to follow this  
Creature

Moving to Lake Moultrie in SC

Hello.  I will soon be moving to Lake Moultrie, SC from Florence, SC.   In Florence I fished mostly small to large size ponds.  Does anyone here fish this area a lot?  What lures seem to work best?  Also, where could I find a map of this lake? I checked out Google Earth for some footage but I need a little more details like dept and etc.  Any info would be great, Thanks.

I fish the lake once or twice a year.  To many variables to recomend a color or lure. You can get a map at Wal-mart or any bait and tackle shop in the area. It will be called Santee-Cooper not Lake Moultrie. This lake can get very, very rough in a big hurry. Be careful if the wind is blowing................Al

It does get rough like the ocean quickly. I havent largemouth fished it but I have caught some big catfish from there and from Lake Marion. Some catfish are 60 plus pounds. Watch out for alligators a friemd of mines brother got his arm wrung off while swimming there last year

here is the article GRAPHIC pictures

http://www.charleston.net/photos/galleries/2007/sep/17/alligator_attack/

Have fished Santee Cooper all my life-Best advice I could give you would be go now while water is still 7 ft below full pool. You can find places to fish when water comes back up. I've logged about 50 hrs on lakes Marion and Moultrie this winter. Have 60-70 new GPS waypoints-humps w/cover, depressions, points, etc. I've seen things that have not not been exposed to air in 40+ yrs. Good Luck!