Sign in to follow this  
HOIST-N-HAWGS

Florida ?

Living in Rhode Island getting extremely depressed from the 2 days of ice melting weather then back to the deep freeze,. I can't friggin handle another year of this crapola. I was contemplating relocating back to FL full time or maybe just for the darn winter months and back to RI for the spring on a yearly basis. My question...well I've got 2 ?'s I lived in Kissimee in 1992-94 and everytime I would wade in the water with my dog's A state policeman or official would pull up and tell me if I value my dog's life as well as my own I better get them out of the water due to gators loving the taste of dog's. They are on the boat with me 99% of the time as well as swimming and retrieving for training and excercise. I'm concerned the dog's and I would lose this favorite outing. Question one: Is this true that I should not allow them to swim or stick thier heads over the side of the boat? Are there any good fisheries that I would not have this concern? Ok, 3 questions! last one. I am a residential/commercial painter as well as a professional dog trainer and a nationally certified Animal control officer. What are the chances I could find work, from say November through March on a yearly basis? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i would not let my dog swim in any canal/lake if i knew there were gators in it. the officer is spot on when he says gators love dogs. i don't believe gators seek out dogs specifically, but when a dog is far from the bank and there is a gator in that body of water, well that is just easy pickens. i have personally seen a small gator (6 FEET) ****** a poodle from shore while the owner looked on helplessy. as far as work goes, i know several painters who do VERY well and seem to be busy all the time. to put things in perspective, my inlaws just purchased a 3 bedroom 2 bath 2 car garage brand new with a pool and it is on a 1/4 acre in port saint lucie for $158,000. it is a buyers market down here and the prices are going to continue to drop. by the way, a good cold front just rolled through and it is cold here to-----this morning was a freezing 57 degrees. i actually have a thermal shirt on underneath my sweater. good luck with your decision.

I am GC in Orlando.  Yes there is still lots of work down here in the commercial sector despite the economy.  Residential is slow now.  From what I understand the pay scale is lower down here though.  We don't have unions.

If a lake is 100% developed the gators have usually been removed.  If a lake is 50% developed then it's only a mater of time for your dog to get eaten.

Any body of water in FL can have and does have alligators. I catch 10 footers in ponds you can nearly spit across. I catch them in ponds with mowed grass all the way around them. I catch them at parks where kids and dogs play in the water, Just keep the dog on a leash there is no safe body of water .As far as gator proofing a lake its nearly impossible. I catch gators with fences all the way around lakes they can push under a fence or travel in culverts . Most of the waterways here in FL are connected by canals or culverts. In about another month when it warms up you will see lost dog signs in nice neighborhoods where people think they have no gators. Hmmm wonder where their dog is???. If your a dog trainer you should be fine just maintain control of your dog.

The thing I see quite often are people who chain their dog in the back yard where there is a pond. Well thats an easy catch for a gator because the dog cannot get away. Gators will study a situation for days or weeks before they decide to make a move . When they do its quick and noone usually sees it.

The upside is there are nuisance gator trappers for every county here in FL. Its a toll free hotline if you have a nuisance gator over 4 feet call the hotline and a trapper like myself will come and get your problem gator.

The work situation is slow slow as far as construction and the pay isnt as good as up north.

Here is a gator I caught the other day at a county park where people swim water ski and let their dogs swim. There is a bigger gator that I havent gotten at that park..

an average 9 ft gator

29zc4jk.jpg

Thanks for the info gentlemen!

bocabasser: 57* and your complaining?   :'( Ooooooooooooooh one can only dream. -5 two nights ago and a balmy 36 for the high today.

I should just pack everything up and go! I'd kill for 57*! Thanks for the tease! >:( ;D

Surfer:

Hmmmmm GC ha? No anyone looking for a very skilled painter? By the way what's the regulations for subs there? RI we need only liabilty no workmans comp is allowed for yourself if your a sub just manditory for any employee you hire. Thanks for the insight ;)

GatorBK: Intereting career! No dull moments in that work. Oh yeah forgot to mentionI'm also a nationally certified ACO. What does one need for licensing cert's etc...... for your line of work? One more thing.........YOU NEED A BIGGER BOAT! ;)

Getting a licence to contract is fairly tough. The test is offered 4 times a year and you have to pay for several books then go to classes and they highlight whats on the test in you books for a fee. The test is open book timed but you about have to go to the school to know whats gonna be on the test and your answetrs are highlighted so the time limit is no problem.

You need atleats 1 million in insurance and workers comp paid out etc. I am not positive on all the regulations. But being a sub here is like being a General Contractoor in NC and other states

Its pretty competetive in the contracting business and much tougher than where I lived in NC . I had my own business there roofing. There is soem work near the bigger cities like Tampa and Orlando but there are also lots of illegals who work cheap. That affects the price people will pay an honest hard working American.

As far as amimal control there are some jobs . I work as a contractor of sorts for the state removing gators . They dont pay me but they allow me to sell the meat and hide for my money. There are not  many openings in my line of work . But there is a constant dog and cat problem.

It is supposed to be 81 degrees this weekend ;D

I'm a GC in Tampa and if you are any good, then you will have plenty of work.  It's true work has slowed down for some people, but I am as busy as I have ever been.  You will need to be registered with the counties and sometimes cities that you plan to work in, but that is more of a fee collection procedure than anything else.  To my knowledge a state license is not required to be a painting subcontractor.  You can check on flbiz.com.

I'm a GC in Tampa and if you are any good, then you will have plenty of work. It's true work has slowed down for some people, but I am as busy as I have ever been. You will need to be registered with the counties and sometimes cities that you plan to work in, but that is more of a fee collection procedure than anything else. To my knowledge a state license is not required to be a painting subcontractor. You can check on flbiz.com.

Thank you sir! ;) Extemely greatful!

PM sent.  Very much in line with what these guys said.  

That GC test was the hardest 2 days test I have ever taken.  I had a headache for a week after that test.

Surfer - that test was not hard, it was just tedious.  Sitting still for 9 hours a day is hard no matter what you are doing. I took mine in the Manatee Civic Center in August with the temp outside around 95, and temp inside somewhere around 50.  I froze solid.

Guest avid

Hey GatorBC...is that a poodle stickin outta that bad boys mouth?

And your little dog too my pretty......

wicked_witch.jpg

LoL I havent gotten the dog eater outta the lake yet . I did catch the I  the above pictured gators  brother this morning 9 ft 1 in . I didnt mess his head up as much this time ;D I still havent gotten the big one from that lake yet the dog eater is over 10 feet maybe 12

ftlxfd.jpg

dbij6d.jpg

On the SW coast of Fl. construction is at a stand still.  My wife made me go back to work last year and Ive ended up managing a paint store.  There are at least 10 painters a day walking in looking for work.  Residential work is absolutely stopped.  Commercial is strictly govermental, rebuilding from the 04 hurricane season.  Im a 22 year veteran cop and my wife works for a P.D. as a CSI.  All the local county/city agencies are on a hiring freeze for at least the last year.  We just voted no on a few tax increases, so I would say a governemt job is as about as unlikely to get as one in construction.  You also have to think about crazy inflated prices on homes, even rentals.  Buy a house and you will be forced to accept Citizens as your carrier.  And our wonderful state senate is o.k.ing that Citizens force us to replace a houseful of new windows w/ultra expensive hurricane proof ones.  Not to mention a year old roof that now has to meet entirely new codes.  Fl. aint no place to live.

Not to mention a year old roof that now has to meet entirely new codes.  Fl. aint no place to live.
As a roofing contractor... you only have to meet the new codes if you are re-roofing. An existing roof doesn't need anything. The new codes suck! There's a law suite filed against the state over this and I'm hoping they can somehow change it back, as the new codes are over kill and the peel and stick does not allow the roof to breathe at all. Some say this will cause problems with the decking.  

I agree Is1jay . I have not done a roof since the new codes have come out. How slick is that stuff when your walking on it?

Surfer - that test was not hard, it was just tedious. Sitting still for 9 hours a day is hard no matter what you are doing. I took mine in the Manatee Civic Center in August with the temp outside around 95, and temp inside somewhere around 50. I froze solid.

I think that's the same place I took mine. Near Brandon / Tampa. You are right it was tedious. It was a new style of test for me. I was used to non open book tests. But it still passed first try thanks to the prep classes. I think it's a 60% fail rate. I saw a lot of ticked off people after that test.

The prep class even went so far as to tell me to bring bookends, jacket, watch, snacks, drinks, and water. A note to everyone else, if you are going to take this test take a prep class. It is worth every penny.

I finished one segment of the test 2hours early and bought some shrimp and fished under the bridge crossing the intercostal. Nothing to report there.

I agree Is1jay . I have not done a roof since the new codes have come out. How slick is that stuff when your walking on it?
We use the granulated kind and it's not too bad. We've used it on some 8/12 roofs with no problems. Roofing has become a real pain! I think I'd rather be catching Gators! ;)