Sign in to follow this  
TommyBass

Florida Fishing Tips

hey yall!

Sorry I havnt posted in awhile but I've continued to read along!  Im getting ready to possibly visit some family in a week or two down in central florida and plan to do some fishing near the Ocklawaha chain.  Possiblly lake Harris or Yale.  Problem is Im from the upper midwest so most lakes are all iced up.  What stage are most the fish in this time of year at that location... prespawn, spawn... post spawn?  Any help you florida guys could give me would be great, and save me a day or two of searching around fruitlessly.  Much thanks in advance!

Avid and George Welcome can reply.

You may want to PM each for their answers.

Going to Disneyworld?

you'll find all 3 stages in c. fla. but the spawn is still on.yale is a good bet.the area around the baptist church camp is good spawning area.the oklawaha leading into griffin would be a good bet also. there is a small chain just across from yale on cr 450 "the holly chain"some monsters in there.i heard the water was down,they use it for the orange groves.you'll be hittin that area just right.

I dread fishing the Harris Chain every time my club votes it.  Harris has of some of the darkest water of all the Central Florida lakes.  

I understand that flipping is a popular technique there, but I'm not great at flipping to begin with.  So I resort to the only bait that I've had moderate success on Harris, which is the ugliest crankbait in the world (the fire tiger style shown below).  I guess the water is so dark that it's difficult to get the fish's attention with just regular worms - at least I've never had much success with worms.   The places I've caught most of my fish were generally around canals and areas with moving water.  

post-1166-130162940412_thumb.jpg

i live around this area and lake yale is down really bad. the main ramp(Marsh Park) is a doosy to get a bass boat down the canal(smaller boat no prob) as for the harris chain (which i hope u know u can't get to from yale) the spawn is still going. and yes gobbledog is very correct with the firetiger color.. :-X. red bug soft plastics work well too. also try throwing a lipless crank silver w/ green back or american shad. good luck and have fun

you'll find all 3 stages in c. fla. but the spawn is still on.yale is a good bet.the area around the baptist church camp is good spawning area.the oklawaha leading into griffin would be a good bet also. there is a small chain just across from yale on cr 450 "the holly chain"some monsters in there.i heard the water was down,they use it for the orange groves.you'll be hittin that area just right.

Best answers usually come from whose back yard is the lake in question and you are fishing in this fellas back yard.

Thanks for the replys guys. I did hear yale was down pretty bad with good access limited to only one ramp... figures. And yes I was aware they arnt all connected but I was just planning on hoping around the region. Hopefully Ill be able to get something in the boat either way : )