Sign in to follow this  
JCrzy4Bass

Anyone here fish Lake Thompson much?

Hey guys,

I'm headed out to Lake Thompson with my dad this Sunday for some early season smallmouth fishing.  Looks like the d**n here holds the deepest waters but also some predatory fish (pickerel and such).  It's only 10 acres, shore access all the way around from what I read (they cleared the shoreline to make it accessible a ways back).  Anyway I was curious if anyone knew what they bit here.  I'm assuming vertical will be best right now, the usual tubes on 1/8-1/4 ounce tube jig heads in multiple colors (I hear its pretty clear so maybe pumpkin/watermelon?) also I was planning on tossing some hair jigs rigged with my vertical x trailers I typically jig with.  Maybe throw some suspending jerkbaits along with it or some original rapalas.  I also have some jigging spoons my dad got me from bass pro I hoped to get some use out of.

Just curious as to if you guys thought I had a decent plan put together.  I know there are better spots for smallmouth but my dad and I haven't been here and it looks like fun and we could probably cover the whole lake a few times plus in one outing since it's only a half mile around.  We are going to the rap next weekend to hit some more of our fav spots for smallies.  Smallie filled next couple of weeks.  Woo hoo.  Hope to put an end to this dry spell here hopefully soon.  Haven't caught a bass since December 3 of last year.  Getting antsy.  Anyone else wanna tag along let me know by email: jcrzy4smlmth@gmail.com  I'll check it each day til' we leave.  You could meet us there as well.  Later guys.

P:s:  There have been reports of some 5+ lb smallies coming out of this lake... don't know how much truth is behind it but should be fun none the less.  Not much is known about the population since the last sampling was so long ago and the people that conducted it said that they were sure the smallies had moved to different areas in deeper water that they didn't cover.

I've fished it a few times. Never caught a smallmouth, but I didn't go in the prime time of the year (I made a few trips between Dec. 06 and Feb. 07).

You also need a trout stamp to fish the lake as it is a designated trout stocked water. You can get them online the same way you get a regular license.

The lake has lots of wood brush in it, you may lose some of those tubes and jigs on the bottom. You can't actually walk around the whole perimeter of the lake because the brush is too thick on the side that is opposite of the dam. You can loop around this brush on one of the hunting trails but that's going to take a while and you won't be able to fish that part. Smallmouth at Thompson are rare, brown trout are a little easier to catch. I would stick with the jerkbait idea. work the deep dropoffs near the dam and on the sides of the lake adjacent to the dam. The jerkbaits might get you some brown trout as well. I caught a couple (including one really nice one) on an x-rap in perch last time I was there.

You might want to take some corn and some light action setups to set out for trout if you don't get any bass.

Good luck, the VDGIF has a picture of a pig smallie from Thompson, hopefully there are more like him. Post some pics if you get any.

PS. be careful if it's still wet, it had rained recently one time when I went and there was mud EVERYWHERE along the banks. You may also want to wear bright colors, especially if you go on any of the hunting paths. Most hunting seasons are closed, but some are open and you never know.

Hey Dan, got my trout pass already but thanks for the heads up. We have actually changed our minds yet again, lol. We are gonna head out to the phelps wild life management area on the rap and fish the pond they have there, then head over to Kelly's Ford for some bank fishing for smallmouth. My dad's friend from work catches pig smallies up there all the time between 2-4lbs. Anyway my dad's taking us out there. We just decided we'd rather have a better shot at smallies than trout.  Normally I fish the section of the rap in fredericksburg (river rd) down to the route one bridge or up to the rappahannock river campground.  Normally we wade but I don't have a pair of waders (usually use shorts) so we will just bank fish this time.  Never fished up by Kelly's Ford.  I remember the info you gave me on the other spot last year and never got to doing that but plan on it sometime around the spawn after I buy a pair of waders.  I'll let you know how we do this weekend here though.

Hey Dan, got my trout pass already but thanks for the heads up.  We have actually changed our minds yet again, lol.  We are gonna head out to the phelps wild life management area on the rap and fish the pond they have there, then head over to Kelly's Ford for some bank fishing for smallmouth.  My dad's friend from work catches pig smallies up there all the time between 2-4lbs.  Anyway my dad's taking us out there.  We just decided we'd rather have a better shot at smallies than trout.  Normally I fish the section of the rap in fredericksburg (river rd) down to the route one bridge or up to the rappahannock river campground.  Normally we wade but I don't have a pair of waders (usually use shorts) so we will just bank fish this time.  Never fished up by Kelly's Ford.  I remember the info you gave me on the other spot last year and never got to doing that but plan on it sometime around the spawn after I buy a pair of waders.  I'll let you know how we do this weekend here though.

No prob, J.

The pond at Phelps is rough as well. It isn't huge, you can walk quite a ways around it though. I don't know any of the contours of the lake, it seems to be very shallow near all the banks. Good luck finding structure, if you do, let me know. They have some citation size redears in there, i believe.

Kelly's Ford is pretty close to the place I told you about last year. I've fished the river from the Phelps Management area but never from the bank. It is a very nice wade though, very sandy bottom. Me and my buddy fished from the southernmost part of the WMA and waded upstream and caught 50 smallies between us in a few hours one time. I've only gotten in at Kelly's Ford, I usually get in from another access point from the WMA. I know there are fish there though. To be honest, there isn't a ton of bank fishing that I've seen, and lots of the bank is highly elevated from the riverside. Maybe your dad's friend from work has some trails that I didn't find.

You probably already have it, but check out THIS MAP[/url ] of the river and THIS MAP of the WMA. I used to park at the southern most red gate on the WMA map and walk to the water from there. It's a long walk and a difficult entrance to the river though. The bank is also very brushy and elevated from the river in this stretch as well so it's really only good for wading. You'd be better off at Kelly's Landing until the water is wade-able.

Good luck, Hopefully when the water gets warm and I get out of school, we can try to get out to the Rapidan.

Definately dude.  You got my contact info.  Thanks for the map man, I'll take a look.  And again thanks for your ever so awesome smallie advice.  Don''t know what I'd do without ya kid.  Take care and hopefully that smallie pre-spawn is just around the corner.  Let's pray for a nice warming trend of 50 degree plus weather in the upcoming weeks eh?

Let us know how you do with the smallies J! I haven't caught one in a while but they fight hard and are crazy fun to catch =D

I'll send you guys some info if we catch anything or get any bites.  Normally preferred that you have three days of temps above at least 50 in late february for any bite to take place.  Today will be, but tommorrow is low 40's and Sunday is mid to high 40's.  So not exactly ideal conditions yet.  My dad and I are gonna try to locate some pools adjacent to main sluggish currents with large breaks and see if we can find any fish nested away in there.  Will be fun either way but hopefully we can manage to grab a few.  We shall see.  Good luck with them Stripers.