Sign in to follow this  
71Rig

Bull Run

Fished Bull run today and again, had the entire stream to myself.  Managed 6 total.  5 smallies and 1 largemouth.  The largemouth was a fat female and ran just about 2 lbs.  The largest smallie was 2 with one other just under 2, two in the mid 1lb range and two dinks.  They were hitting 1/4 oz spinnerbaits in white and chartruse, Yum Dingger (4" on 1/0 EWG) in junebug, and 2.5" Yum Craws in crawdad on a 1/8 & 1/4 oz. tube weight.  

I'm bad at self take pictures but here a few.

post-10806-13016294047_thumb.jpg

Nice!  Those fish look nice and fat, must have put up a good fight. I'm hoping to find some time soon to make it down there for the first time.

Nice smallie 71Rig, I'm jealous. I have only caught one smallie and it was a dink. I am hoping to catch some nice smallies when JCrzy4Bass and I go wading in the Rap.

Both fish came from above the 28 bridge.   I took the leisurely stroll up the stream today instead of beating a path down stream.  But I do just as well (sometimes better) when going down stream.  

And before I get called on it I did look at my math again and it didn't add up.  I think I added one too many mid 1lb range fish. .  But I did catch 6 in all.    

Nice fish 71. Can't wait to try out that spot this year. Looks like you guys catch smallies on a regular basis up there?

Did you take the hike through the needles and trashy water? ;D

Looks like fun man. Have to meet up sometime for some smallie fishing. We are thinking of setting up a trip to pony pasture on the james in richmond later next month, keep your eyes open in the forum for the thread. Will be posted in this section.

How far up 28 is that if you hit it from Liberia Ave?  I'm coming from the Prince William Parkway.  And do I take a left or right onto 28?  Just curious.  I'd love to check it out sometime.  I love me some smallies.  Though I much prefer to hit the Rapp, but who knows a trip here may change my mind.

Where do you guys park?  I work only 15 minutes from there and wouldn't mind hitting it for an extended lunch or after work.

Here are the coordinates for that part of Bull Run.

38.803464,-77.449665

Copy and paste them into google maps and you can get directions. It is easier to get their going southbound on 28 because the turn is a little hard coming northbound. If you are going South on 28, the right turn is after the Compton Rd. intersection, look for a bridge and turn off right BEFORE the bridge to get to a little parking area. If you are coming from the South on 28 going North, the turn will be after Yorkshire Ln. Keep an eye out for the bridge and take the first left after you cross the bridge to get to the parking area.

Dan,

As always, most informative sir.  I appreciate it.  I'll be checking it out on my next week day off.  Probably April 25.  Unless I get a *cough* between now and then lol.

Awesome, thanks!